From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a new version of complex set of VIs?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am a novice user debugging some complicated legacy LabView 6 (2001) code. I'd like to make a new copy of the code and leave the original untouched. It appears the VI I want to debug calls many other VIs. How can I get a list of all the VIs that are needed to run the code? Should I then bundle all of them into a library, rename it and move it to a new directory, to avoid any accidental changes to the original VIs?

Message 1 of 2
(2,343 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KAE_DC

Since LV 6 did not havea project hopefully the devloper createda Tree.vi or a catlog of all of the top level or dynaimcally instaciated VIs used.

You will want to open the top level VI and choose (working from an old falible memory) choose;

Save with options...

Choose Source distribution.

Choose Duplicate hiarchy

Navigate to a new safe location and save all of trhe code there.

Close the cod without saving

Then ensure all VIs are unloaded (none are open)

Open the top lvel in the new location

Open the VI hiearchy screen

Select "View full path in VI lable."

Then carefully float your cursor over every VI and verify that only the new path is used for the called VIs.

If you get that far you are safe.

Submit it to SCC and have fun!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 2
(2,339 Views)