From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lock the size of front panel so that user can't see hidden objects?

Hi 

You can also Hide the item that you want to hide to the user ? 

J.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(1,323 Views)

Hi J.,

I was thinking about that too but there are a lot items to hide and they don't allow you to select all to do that. so you have to do it one by one...Smiley Frustrated

Or I can drag all all the items far far away ...Smiley LOL

Thanks for offering ideas! I appreciate it!

spring.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(1,313 Views)

In fact, I had the same issues and I had to hide all of them one by one ... but know I do it at the moment I created them and no more problem of hidden object and so on ^^ 

No prob 🙂 

J.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(1,306 Views)

Sam,

I'm also considering your advice to redesign it...That's a little pain though. Smiley Sad

Regards,

spring.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(1,304 Views)

@2014spring wrote:

Sam,

I'm also considering your advice to redesign it...That's a little pain though. Smiley Sad

Regards,

spring.

Hmmm, Thats a really good idea!  a key thought for you:

Protect the user from himself!  your exe should NEVER display the Front Panel of a non-running vi.  That data can't be updated or renewed - it contains no information the user could possibly be interested in.  Really, that's the mindset you need while refactoring the app!  Some other RUNNING utility may need to display information simillar to that shown on the vi FP in question but "Dead Data" is about the worst thing you can give to a user.  (I've had simillar "Face-Palm" moments - don't feel too bad)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 15 of 24
(1,284 Views)

If it's an EXE, why is it not exiting nicely when the user tells it to go away?

Message 16 of 24
(1,260 Views)

Hi SnowMule,

When they click on Cancel button at a certain step, I want to stop the test but not to exit out completely to keep some previously filled information in the program so that they don't have to refill the fields each time when they run the program. Also they don't have to go to desktop or Start menu to locate the program and run it. This is to save production time. 🙂

Regards,

spring

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(1,241 Views)

@2014spring wrote:

Hi SnowMule,

When they click on Cancel button at a certain step, I want to stop the test but not to exit out completely to keep some previously filled information in the program so that they don't have to refill the fields each time when they run the program. Also they don't have to go to desktop or Start menu to locate the program and run it. This is to save production time. 🙂

Regards,

spring

Do not use a vi FP to hold data- use a file

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 18 of 24
(1,233 Views)

That's the point - you shouldn't need to restart the executable to start a new test. Just have your application go 'idle' when the user presses the cancel button and give them another button to 'reset' or start a new test.

The user should only need to 'run' the application at the start of the day and then close it at the end of the day.

You can also save the values of the fields into a configuration/preferences file so they get saved on exit and loaded on launch of the software 🙂

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(1,230 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I know I could use a temperary file to hold data. But like I said, I'd like to keep the window open there for convenicenc.

Regards,

spring.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(1,225 Views)