LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to input symbols, like ∆, into labview string?

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anne Zuo

You have to enter a font name in the VI that Lynn uploaded. Otherwise, it just uses the default font for string indicators. For example, here is the output for the Symbol font:

test Delta_FP.png

If you're running on a Windows machine you can also use the Character Map utility under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. This allows you to select a font and see that characters for that font. Select the character you want, click Copy to copy it to the clipboard, go back to LabVIEW, and paste. Then, select the character you just pasted and use the font menu in LabVIEW to change the font to the same one you had selected in the Character Map utility. 

Message 11 of 18
(6,800 Views)

Thanks a lot.  It works.

I tries several fonts, like Arial, Arial Unicode MS, wingdings..., it didn't work.  

Symbol works.  Great.

Thanks a lot.

Anne

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(6,797 Views)

Hi Community,

It's been 4.5 years since the solution was accepted here. Is there any better way to put unicode symbols in our front panel controls?

For example, I need to create an enumerator and one of the items is the greek symbol σ. How do I do that? From this thread's solution, I may just internally wire a code for what is in the solution above by Lynn, but wanted to know if there's any better solution.

Thanks!

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(5,991 Views)

If you know the position of the Greek symbol, use Greek font.

If you don't know the position, change the whole string to unicode.

A List of Tips and Tools for using Unicode in LabVIEW

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(5,969 Views)

Hey Vaibhav,

You can also just create a property node for your enum.  Right click on the enum terminal and go to Create>>Property Node>>Ring Text>>Font>>Name.  Change the Font Name property to write and and wire in a string constant that says "Symbol."  I've attached a an example.

Unfortunately this only works if you want all of your enum values to be symbols.  If you need the values to have different fonts, you could work around it by using a Picture Ring and just have images of the text you want to use.

Myriam

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(5,937 Views)

Thanks Zou and

Thanks Myr.i.am. for the detailed answer.

Myr.i.am, I still don't have the 2013 version on this computer so I couldn't open your VI, but from the description I understood your point.

Selecting the font name as Symbol changes all the elements to that font. However, I need a mix of symbols, like greek small sigma, c, r, s, (, ), + etc.

I can paste "σ" in string constant in the block diagram but not in the properties of the Enum object directly, so I thought about adding the elements programmatically (run-time), but I don't see how, and also I downloaded the JKI's OpenG library, but not sure the function that deals with such situation.

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(5,893 Views)

Hi Vaibhav,

Unfortunately, there's not an easier method to use special symbols etc when using a Windows operating system. If you are not using an enum, you can change the type of symbol in your string control and put some text in the label. Then you can highlight the text where you want the special charcter, open the font dialog (ctrl-0) and select a font containing greek letters (like Symbol on Windows). You can also try creating your own font type on one of the free web programs and then call that font using the method Myriam mentioned. 

Anna L

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(5,861 Views)

Ok, so for the timebeing I will use another ASCII character instead of the UNICODE, till I find any simpler method, because I need to finish the program soon.

Thank anyways Anna.

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(5,821 Views)