From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include .lvbitx file in when building an executable?

My experience with rather old version of LabVIEW does not seem to work after upgrading to LabVIEW 2015 (or mayber even after 2013?). With the old version I was able to find referenced .lvbitx files in the folder of \libraries. However, this time there is no such new folder being created during the exe building. Instead I am able to add a folder named "\data" during the configuration. And that seems to be the place for all supporting files. The referenced .lvbitx files, though, are in the "Dependencies" folder if viewed in the project explorer.

My question now is, where I could find the .lvbitx files after exe is built. In the builds folder for the exectable, there is no such "\data" folder. What's more, there is an error when I try to run the executable with the Run-time engine in the target computer when the actual RIO devices are physically located. The error is upon calling "open FPGA vi reference" because the corresponding .lvbitx file could not be located over there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,033 Views)

How are you referencing the FPGA application in the open FPGA VI reference?

The .lvbitx file was always included as part of the .rtexe and in 2015 it was removed from the supporting folders because it never really needed to be there and was just taking up space.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,003 Views)

I chose to configure open FPGA VI reference with compiled bitfile. Also in that configuration window I check both "Run the FPGA VI" and "Bind FPGA host reference to type definition". It used to work with old version of LabVIEW but not 2015. Also I notice the size of compiled exe file for the host application (not rtexe since it is not going to run on a real time target) is smaller than the compiled lvbitx file being referenced. How could LabVIEW include that file into the build and make the exe smaller than the lvbitx?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,960 Views)

@stevensung wrote:

Also I notice the size of compiled exe file for the host application (not rtexe since it is not going to run on a real time target) is smaller than the compiled lvbitx file being referenced. How could LabVIEW include that file into the build and make the exe smaller than the lvbitx?

Just a guess, but if I'm not mistaken, a lvbitx file is XML (text), and LabVIEW applications are compressed (in versions prior to LabVIEW 8 or so, you could rename an application to .zip instead of .exe and pull out the compiled VIs). With compression it's possible for the application to contain the contents of the lvbitx, but be smaller than that file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,942 Views)