LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve quality of Graphical User Interfaces

Hi everyone.

I am looking to improve the quality of my Graphical User Interfaces. I wanted to know if there were some general books on GUI design as well as some resources specifically related to LabVIEW that would help me take my GUIs to the next level.

I know how to put things on a front panel, including all the decorations and things. So I am more looking for ways to plan and design my GUI well and lay it out in such a way that it looks great and is optimally designed for an improved user experience.

Am I right in thinking that the GUI is designed before the underlying code that performs the calculations is designed, in the product development lifecycle?

Any resources and advice will be greatly appreciated, as well as some feedback on whether general GUI books would help me or not.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,921 Views)

You may find a few useful tips and links here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/UX-UI-Design-Resource/td-p/3015071

Regarding GUI versus BD first, I will generally make a mock up of the GUI as a starting point to present to the end users and get their feedback, then code the functionality later.

That way I can make sure it has the functionality they need and improve the ease of use for them.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,912 Views)

I start with a template that leaves a common feel to all of the controls in the factory. This template allows for calling in sub-panel Vis for all of the operator functions, but things that have to run all of the time run from the main vi.

I then tend to look at inputs, outputs, and data before I do the front panel of any SubVIs. This process is detailed and may go as deep as finding out from someone who knows the process where the problems are in the existing system, or all the way to driving physical and simulated devices for development and debugging.

I find myself having to remake the panel too often if I design it with what I think it should look like instead of from the perspective of what it will be controlling. Then, once I begin to make things function I bring in operators and managers to see how they like the flow and modify it for what they need, but the underlying code doesn't vary too much as it is all encapsulated in TypeDefs or driven by physical reality.

I try to get the "view from 10,000 feet" before writing code. With all of the intricacies and interelations involved in factory design it is critical to tie as much as possible correctly in my mind first.

I also find that having interfaces that operators can walk up to and understand a lot of what is going on without having to think about it far outweighs how pretty it has to be. But, this is a closed environment not a retail outlet.

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
Message 3 of 3
(2,876 Views)