LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement a live data logging into Excel using LabVIEW?

Hi guys,

I would like to see my data being recorded live (the data will appear one by one out live) in Excel. Is it possible to be done using LabVIEW?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Vanessa

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,102 Views)
You have examples in your other thread - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-use-write-to-spreadsheet-VI-to-export-data-to-excel/m-p/29999... that write as data is acquired, so of course it's possible. Look at the examples. Look at tdms streaming.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,090 Views)

Hello,

I didn't get it!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,671 Views)

Vanessa,

I'm not sure where you posted an earlier message (Dennis' link appears to be "broken").  If you use the Report Generation Toolkit, you actually open Excel (I recommend putting the Workbook on a second screen so it doesn't cover your VI's Front Panel) and you can view the data being read and written as it happens.  But keep your hands off while LabVIEW is trying to control Excel ...

We mostly use Excel as "instructions", i.e. we read an existing Workbook row-by-row to run a series of behavior trials (based on a set of around 120 parameters that vary from Trial to Trial).  We do update a handful of parameters on the Worksheet at the end of each Trial, but typically don't read them during the testing ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,666 Views)

Honestly, I wouldn't data log to Excel unless I had a template that I had to use. With that said, can you data log to a text file, like a CSV (comma-seperated values), and then import that data into Excel? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,660 Views)

GregoryJ -- Thanks, I once again fell into the "Stale Thread" trap.  I'll try to be more careful.

Bob "Stale" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,639 Views)