From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement Savitsky-Golay Filter on FPGA

Hi,

I am implementing my control algorithm using Compact RIO-9022, and I have to know the velocity and acceleration from the position signals (1st and 2nd derivative of position).

I have used the Savitsky-Golay filter to calculate derivatives and smooth signals in Scan mode, and it performs a nice job. But the max scan speed is too slow, scan period >=1ms, in this mode.

So, I am transferring files to FPGA style. But there is no exsiting S-G VIs like in scan mode.

Is there any advance to implement S-G filter on FPGA for beginner? or is it possible?  

Thank you in advance.

Wang

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,616 Views)

I haven't done a lot with FPGA, and am not up-to-date on how well it handles non-integer arithmetic currently, but I see no reason you couldn't program a Savitzky-Golay Filter in a manner comparable to the Point-by-Point functions on the Signal Processing Palette.  If it's not obvious how these work, put the Median Point-by-Point filter on an empty Block Diagram and simply "open it up" -- it is coded in "ordinary LabVIEW" with a helper sub-VI, also coded in LabVIEW.  It shows how to initialize a point-by-point operation and what to do when the "next point" comes in.

Of course, you'll need code to implement the specific S-G filter you want.  There are some good references on how to do this on the Web.  And, will you look at that, there's an S-G filter in the Point-by-Point Palette -- if you can't use it directly in FPGA, maybe you could "adapt" its code ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,596 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to implement the S-G filter followed the exsiting subVIs, but I failed to transfer the data format... array format cannot be used in FPGA mode...

I used the butterworth filter to do rough smoothing in the last... Hope I can get more information during the FPGA studying..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,547 Views)