LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the setup.exe file at the top level?

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings!

I am building a distribution application from my project.

When I am done, I have the following file system to copy to a CD:

- Main application Installer folder

- Application.exe (and aliases and ini)

- data folder

- Volume folder

- bin folder

- license folder

- supportfiles folder

- nidist.id

- setup.exe

- setup.ini.

I would like to get the setup.exe file to be on the top (in Main application Installer folder), so that a user can immediately find this file to start the installation.

Is there a way to achieve that?

I tried making shortcut, but the shortcut's path is absolute, so it will not work from the CD.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,251 Views)

it is possible...

But you have to make sure to keep the setup.ini file in the same path or folder where the setup.exe going to be present.

Also certain paths like the "bin" "license" "supportfiles" that have reference in the setup.ini file needs to be modified accordingly because when the installer runs it will look for the files in these directory.

The easiest way would be to create a small installer and modify the path accordingly some thing like this.

Here i just copied the setup.exe and the setup.ini files from the "..../My Installer/Volume" to "..../My Installer/"

So i modified certain entries in the setup.ini files like

[Files]
LicenseTextFile0009=NI;license\NI Released License Agreement - English.rtf

to

[Files]
LicenseTextFile0009=NI;Volume\license\NI Released License Agreement - English.rtf

And once all the modifications were done, the setup.exe was installed properly....

Guru

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,236 Views)

Thank you Guruthilak for your reply!

This method could indeed do the job... but my .ini file has about 1,400 lines of code, most of them being path descriptors...

Since I will regularly release new versions of this application, and that mistakes could cause problems, I was hoping for an automatic method to make the changes.

Should I understand that there is no means to do it from the LabVIEW Application Builder? I find it strange, since every installation program file system I encountered so far had its main file on the root level.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,219 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DCanQAlias

DCanQAlias wrote:
[...]

- Main application Installer folder

- Application.exe (and aliases and ini)

- data folder

- Volume folder

- bin folder

- license folder

- supportfiles folder

- nidist.id

- setup.exe

- setup.ini.

[...]

This folder setup is typical if you create the installer in the same directory as the executable (which would be default).

But please note that the Volume folder is the complete installer. So if you want to distribute the application, please use the Volume folder (and its content) only!

The bin-folder contains *.cab-files which are the cabinet files for the MSI (Microsoft Installer). Those files contain the files you want to distribute, so your application, the settings for the application (ini and alias), as well as the data folder.

So you see if you copy the whole Main Application Installer Folder, you will introduce redundancies in those files......

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,212 Views)

Yes, I was starting to guess as much...  You are right, this file system is redundant if I leave it like that.

I only need what is contained in Volume, which solves my problem entirely.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,207 Views)