From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get system time from cRIO?

Hello,

I have an NI cRIO-9076 chassis with an NI-9467 GPS module and an NI-9234 module.

I've downloaded the FPGA Timekeeper application which synchronises the FPGA clock to the 1PPS GPS, this works well.  What I want to do is create a trigger that at a pre-defined HH:MM:SS the system will start to acquire and log data from the Accelerometers connected to the NI-9234 module.

I have added the controls for the entry of the HH:MM:SS and calculated the time in seconds.  I would like to compare the system clock once it is locked to the entered timestamp and then trigger.

As I only have a value that represents seconds in the day I need to calculate the offset from EPOCH to compare against the GPS time reference.  I have read that the NI system clock runs from 01/01/1904 instead of the EPOCH 01/01/1970.

The question is how do I get the current system time so that I can compare it against the entered time?  I only need seconds in the day = (HH * 3600) + (MM * 60) + (SS)

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,873 Views)

Have you tried using the "Get Date/Time in Seconds" VI?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/glang/get_date_time_in_seconds/

It works the same on RT targets as it does in Windows.

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,852 Views)

You should use the Get Date/Time in Seconds VI which will return a timestamp. You can then format this timestamp using the Format Date/Time String to give you exactly the time format that you need. Then you can extract the numbers you need and do your math.

Get Seconds in Day.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,848 Views)

Thank you, I've tried using the code but I'm getting errors:

Target Specific Errors and Warnings:

Decimal String To Number: Function not supported for current target

Match Pattern: Functiron not supported for current target

Diagram Constant: Type not supported in current target

Wire: Type not supported in current target

Get Date//Time in Seconds: Function not supported for current target

Front Panel Terminal 'date/time string': Type not supported in current target

These errors only occur once I paste the logic from the "Get Seconds in Day.vi" into the project.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,831 Views)

Just to recap, we have a cRIO-9076, with a NI-9467 and a NI-9234.  I've been talking to NI support and I am told that the string handling functions and time conversion functions are not supported by the FPGA target, which would explain the error messages.  Is it possible to do what I want with the hardware we have?

What we are trying to do is synchronise the chassis using the GPS 1PPS clock, then trigger an activity based on a user configurable time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,797 Views)

You did not mention that you were trying to accomplish this on the FPGA target. The solution I posted will work on the RT target. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,785 Views)

The first line of my original post specifies the hardware, sorry if I missed something, I thought I had been specific.

I'm very new to cRIO and still finding my way. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,756 Views)

Solved !

Have created a VI on the Chassis, I have accessed the FPGA global variables "FPGA Timekeeper time(ns)" and "FPGA Timerkeeper locked".

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,745 Views)