LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a 300 kHz Hanning-windowed tone-burst excitation with a 10 Hz repetition rate

Hi everybody,

I am controlling the HP33120A arbitrary waveform generator through a Prologix GPIB controller, and I would like to make him generate a windowed tone-burst excitation. I'm really principiant in Labview and I have no clue about how to do it. I just found the Hanning-windowing filter in Labview, but I still have to generate a raw tone burst excitation first and then smooth it through this function. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,364 Views)

Your AWG (33120A) has 16000 points for the generation. For 300kHz your min samplerate is 600kHz ... (practical I would use min  5 times the max frequency...) but assume 1MHz ... so your burst can be 16ms long.  Create a 16000 points 300kHz sine wave (signal generation vis)  and window it ...scale it and  feed that into your AWG. Program it to one periode AWG burst with 10Hz burst rate .....

(havn't used that generator for a long time .....   , well since I have access to a PXI5422 😉 )

If you need a 10Hz Hanning window @ 300kHz  ....   use two generators and AM modulation .....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,332 Views)

Thank you for your response Henrik.

When you saay 16000 point I understand you mean a maximum number of 16000 samples? I am aware about the fact that the sample rate must be at least twice the frequence of the burst, thank you anyway. I've found in internet an example to create a Sine Wave Burst, you can find it enclosed below. Do you think it can be done with it? Thank you in advance.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-35809

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,324 Views)

use this 5 min  vi .....

and help yourself by loading the instrument driver (Help-Find instrument driver ....)

hanning sine AWG.png

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,315 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for you reply. I took the vi you attached and I implemented in the instrument driver example. Attached you can find it. I get this error:

Error -1073807339 occurred at hp33120a IVI Error Converter.vi

Possible reason(s):

Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

you can find enclosed as well the NI I/O Trace, it might help you to find out what's going on... Thank you very much...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,134 Views)

Have you managed to make any connections to your device?

correct device adress?

can MAX find the device?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,116 Views)

Yes to all your questions, actually I got no errors when I use the example "Generate Standard Waveform", I can change the frequency, offset and amplitude and I obtain the desired result on the oscilloscope. Problems come with arbitrary functions. Always it appears the same function on the oscilloscope, no matter what I do. Just changes in the frequency can be done, but the shape is always the same... I took a picture. I thought maybe is a problem os firmware or something, the equipment is really old... By the way, I got as well the error -420 Query untermined on the screen of the AWG, several times not just once. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,107 Views)