LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find all subVI value changes to a control inside a cluster?

Solved!
Go to solution
I have a question that I've had brewing for many years now, and as of today this question became less philosophical to me now that I have a VI project with hundreds of VIs in it to work through... If I have a cluster that is passed between/through several subVIs, is there a way to find all of the reads/writes to a particular control inside that cluster? For example, if I use a global variable, I can find all instances of where that variable was changed. Many times, a cluster is used to pass data instead of many global variables, but I don't know of any way to quickly find where particular parts of that cluster are read/written in subVIs. Global variables become a headache when there are too many of them flying around, but I can't keep track of reads/writes in clusters without manually looking through a few hundred VIs that take in the cluster. Is there a feature to do this that I'm not aware of? Hopefully this question/problem makes sense. This may spark a architecture discussion, which I would welcome, since I will need to build projects of this scale in the future, but I also feel quite stuck when clusters are used (by myself or others) to pass data around. Thanks! John
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,450 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yevoclabview

If you are using Unbundle By Name and Bundle By Name, just do a text search for the control name.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,447 Views)

@yevoclabview wrote:
I have a question that I've had brewing for many years now, and as of today this question became less philosophical to me now that I have a VI project with hundreds of VIs in it to work through... If I have a cluster that is passed between/through several subVIs, is there a way to find all of the reads/writes to a particular control inside that cluster? For example, if I use a global variable, I can find all instances of where that variable was changed. Many times, a cluster is used to pass data instead of many global variables, but I don't know of any way to quickly find where particular parts of that cluster are read/written in subVIs. Global variables become a headache when there are too many of them flying around, but I can't keep track of reads/writes in clusters without manually looking through a few hundred VIs that take in the cluster. Is there a feature to do this that I'm not aware of? Hopefully this question/problem makes sense. This may spark a architecture discussion, which I would welcome, since I will need to build projects of this scale in the future, but I also feel quite stuck when clusters are used (by myself or others) to pass data around. Thanks! John

You are looking at this the wrong way.  And you just learned, the hard way, that passing clusters around through a large project has problems.  Lets see if we can prevent needing to find all the instances where data is writen, read, folded, spindled or mutilated by making exactly 1 vi responsible for doing all of that.

Ben's famous Action Engine Nugget is always a good read.  By using an Action Engine you avoid exactly the problem you are seeing and a few more as well.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 3
(2,428 Views)