From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find COM port for a specific USB device

Hi dave,

when you connect your USB and you have insalled the usb to serial driver for that USB then it will automatically read in device manger. Here is the simple VI I wrote long back.

Let me know if you want some help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
Message 11 of 21
(8,434 Views)

I am using CVI, not labview.  Is there a way to search windows for the USB serial number and obtain the comport address programatically?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(8,007 Views)
If you are using cvi, then post to that board.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(7,994 Views)

Sorry for once again resurrecting an old thread but I came across this looking for an answer.

To find COM port numbers of FTDI Chips see my post here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Finding-FTDI-Chip-COM-Port-Numbers/td-p/3123726

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(7,094 Views)

Hello Matthew,

I am having visual c++ code that enumerate all USB devices and I have attached a usb-to-serial but I cannot get the com port (com4)..

I have the usb hub/port, do you know a way to get com port from hub/port from Windows Driver kit or something else that work with visual c++ (win32)?

Thanks so much,

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(5,941 Views)

Try this.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 16 of 21
(5,921 Views)

Oops. Forgot all the subVIs.  Here's the whole package.

Message 17 of 21
(5,920 Views)

If your FTDI serial-converter device reports a serial number, then Windows will always assign it to the same COM port (if that COM port is available).  If it does not report a serial number, then Windows will assign whatever COM port number is convenient.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(4,609 Views)

sir, 

pls send a 2013 version of this code

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(4,111 Views)

@dineshmeena wrote:

sir, 

pls send a 2013 version of this code

You wrote "sir", but you don't indicate which "sir" you are referring to.  Are you referring to me?

You wrote "this code", but you don't mention which code.  Are you referring to "Find Specific USB Com Port.llb"?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(4,090 Views)