LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exclude .aliases file from EXE target

I have a project developed in LabVIEW 2014 which includes .aliases file in the EXE target (and so in the installer which is built including the EXE target).

I don't want to include this file in the installer because it contains information specific to the local computer.

I found this thread but I don't find a way to remove the file from the installer.

How can I do this?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
Message 1 of 7
(4,060 Views)

Hello,

.aliases files is not auto-added to the installer, when you chose what to include in the installer you simply don't include the .aliases files.

I also suggest you the following link:

On .aliases Files

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/23004

I hope this could help.

Enrico

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,998 Views)

@esgro wrote:

Hello,

.aliases files is not auto-added to the installer, when you chose what to include in the installer you simply don't include the .aliases files.

I also suggest you the following link:

On .aliases Files

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/23004

I hope this could help.

Enrico

If you use the exe build spec in the installer build spec (which is much simpler than adding all the files manually) the .aliases file is automatically included.

You can, however, use a custom .aliases file in the exe build spec (Advanced > Use custom aliases file). This can probably even be empty.

Message 3 of 7
(3,990 Views)

Can you send some screenshot in order to describe your situation?

Thanks

Enrico 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,986 Views)

Here you are.

Installer aliases.pngFor such a simple case you could probably add the files individually (you'd have to add them to the project first). For more complex applications with lots of dependencies in the data folder it is convenient to add an exe build spec to the installer.

Message 5 of 7
(3,982 Views)

Hi dan_u,

you perfectly summarized the situation, an d I try to give some additional details:

1. the simplest way is to create an EXE target. .aliases files is automatically included in the EXE target (or I think so - I didn't find any way to exclude it from the EXE target)
  2. then create the INSTALLER target including the EXE target (not adding the single files manually)
  3. since the EXE target include .aliases file, the INSTALLER includes the .aliases file

I don't know if a custom empty .aliases file is a solution, because my project is under a git environment where .aliases files are not tracked. If another developer clones the repository, the custom  .aliases file is not present (since it's not tracked) and so the installer cannot be built.

Vix
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,976 Views)

But you could have it under version control. We do that with a custom .ini file, which we add to the project and under version control, and which is used for the exe build spec. The same could be done with the .aliases file I assume.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,968 Views)