From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dynamically call and order program modules

@_Y_ wrote:

So, you probably need a state machine, which will control laucjnching/termination of threads and corresponding communication channels.

By the way, check Actor Framework Template. It could be helpful.

Yea, we probably will have a Scheduler VI that will monitor and manage those program module so that they can be launched dynamically to differen threads.

Why do you suggest Actor Framework?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(404 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

My point mentioning TestStand is that my feeling tells me that you are going to re-implement some very basic functions which are already included in TestStand.

To be honest: TestStand adds additional costs. You have to purchase licenses, you should get some training which takes time until getting payed off.

But on the other hand: You also need time to implement and test your self-made approach. Also: Does this project grow in the future? Do you need additional features in the (near) future?

Teststand does seem to be very close to what we are looking for.

But since some of us is not very familiar with Teststand, maintenance cost might out weigh benefits.

I am learning Teststand bit by bit through NI's SPOT but I don't see a clear advatange over LabVIEW besides the pre-built sequence editor and all the options that comes along with it.

On another note, these program modules will need to process and analyze images in a timely fashion.

So we might have to use multiple PCs in order to process images and I am not sure how easy and flexible Teststand is when it's used in such fashion.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(396 Views)

TestStand is indeed the professional answer to your requirements, at least to those you mentioned here.

That being said, i have to point out one important thing regarding TS:

It is no replacement for LV (or other programming languages) as it cannot access e.g. hardware "gracefully" by itself. You will still need a programming language to interact with hardware, acquire and manipulate data and (most likely) interface to other software.

TS does, however, give you a great advantage during development and test of your test applications as it is a very flexible SEQUENCER with a lot of additional functionality out of the box concerning test system configuration and functionality.

As a comparison, TS would be your statemachine. So using TS will leave you to only implement each state, not the machinery necessary to execute the states in a certain, flexible order.

Of course, TS is a great deal more as it has reporting, configuring (and executing) several DUTs in parallel and interfacing to many common components used in testing environment.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(362 Views)