LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable selectability of front panel indicators

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a VI whose front panel is shown below where a String Indicator is having an issue. The indicator here reads the value 'Please record the value for Air Temp [C]'.

Problem

When the indicator is clicked on in the front panel the text area becomes 'editable' in appearance (only) and I did not want this

Question

How do I eliminate the behavior shown below in Picture Two, when the indicator displays as editable? How can I leave the system simply in a state of Picture One :)?

Picture One - Normal Front Panel

orig.png

Picture Two - Front Panel with Click on String Indicator

withClick.png

justinmreina@gmail.com
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,223 Views)

Can you attach the VI instead?

Clickability is useful of you e.g. want to copy whatever is shown in the indicator. (I hate it if I e.g. get an error message and it won't let me copy/paste it into an error report!).

You can always use a "mouse down?" filtering event for the string and discard it.

(Why is the string area in the lower picture so larger? Seems you have overlapping controls. One line would be sufficient.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin_Reina

Justin,

Try disabling the indicator. Property node or right-click Advanced -> Enabled State -> Disabled.

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
(4,206 Views)

@Justin_Reina wrote:

I have a VI whose front panel is shown below where a String Indicator is having an issue. The indicator here reads the value 'Please record the value for Air Temp [C]'.

Problem

When the indicator is clicked on in the front panel the text area becomes 'editable' in appearance (only) and I did not want this

Question

How do I eliminate the behavior shown below in Picture Two, when the indicator displays as editable? How can I leave the system simply in a state of Picture One :)?

Hi to be more clear refer to the image below

you can right click on the string indicator go to advanced -----> Enabled State and select disabled.

disable.png

Certified-LabVIEW-Associate-Dev_rgb (1).jpg

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Best LabVIEW Programmer @NIDAYS 2015
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,180 Views)

Attached vi will do what you want.......

There are  two ways to tell s thanks in forums : either give Kudos or  Marked Solutions

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,170 Views)

What I like to do is make the Caption of the entry visible and then I edit the caption with a property node.  It looks just like the string indicator you have and the user cannot select it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 9
(4,162 Views)
Personally I would use Tim's solution to use the caption because in addition to giving you the behavior you want, it is also logically correct.

Look at the front panel you designed. The line about entering data is clearly associated with the input box. Logically it is already functioning as a caption ("Value" means nothing and would be confusing to the user) so make it the caption.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 7 of 9
(4,151 Views)

On mobile. So I can not add browsers tabs or, add a link.Smiley Embarassed

Up

See also a Community nugget of mine.  avoiding the three finger salute! 

Hint: tag "my nuggets" with an underscore.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,105 Views)

Oh my goodness, how naive of me. This works!!!!

Thank you, and my apologies for the silly error!

🙂

justinmreina@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,059 Views)