LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a smooth color ramp for Intensity Charts/Graphs

How can I create a smooth color ramp for Intensity Charts (Pic: bilinear.png). By default I only get about 10 colors and it uses the same color for a big range of values (Pic: bilinear2.png).
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,814 Views)
If you go to your front panel and right-click on the intensity graph color ramp is the "interpolate colors" option checked?
It should be. Then all you need to do is to (as a minimum) specify the "high color" and the "low color" to define the ramp.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,796 Views)
That's exactly what I did. 'Interpolate colors' option is checked. Specifying the 'high color' and the 'low color' creates a bar with the specified colors at the top and bottom position in the color ramp, but nothing else. Reading the 'Color Table' I get an array with 256 different colors. But the ramp only shows about 10 colors. I'm using LabVIEW 7.1 for Linux.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,775 Views)

This sounds maybe a bit silly - but did you check the values you wired to the graph?

If you just have ten different values, you will just see ten different colours.

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,772 Views)
I just play arround with variations of the example 'Bilinear_interpolation.vi' by Christian Altenbach postet in the 'Interpolating pixels in the Intensity Graph ' thread. This example generates an 40x40 array with about 1600 different Values between 0 and 12. The result I get is shown in the 'bilinear2.png' I postet in the first message.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,763 Views)
Which colours does the colortable display? There you can see the whole colour range which is use by the graph.
Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,760 Views)
The Colortable shows 255 different Colors from black over blue to white. I already changed this to other color tables like given in the Example 'Common Intensity Maps.vi' (LV Example Finder). I never get a smooth color ramp.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,756 Views)

That's strange. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this behaviour, as I use LV7.0 on Windows platforms.

I'd suggest to search the forums once more (maybe more with focus on linux) and, if not successful, contact NI.

Using LV8.0
Message 8 of 13
(3,751 Views)
I'm on a Windows system and know next-to-nothing about Linux so I don't know how much use I'll be to you but is it possible that this might have something to do with your video display system, driver or interface and how they are setup? It would seem to me that LabVIEW at least thinks that it has 256 colors to display.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,717 Views)
I would say, that my display system handles about 65536 (16 bit) different colors and this is equal to 256*256. This shouldn't be the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,698 Views)