From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a chain of buttons?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm new to using labview and I want to create a simple program such that when a user selects a button another button would show up.

i.e. If user selects LED, then on the front panel 2 other buttons would appear to prompt the user which LED should be on. If the user selects motor, then 3 buttons would show on the front panel whether it is turning left, right or to stop it.

I was wondering if this is possible. If so, I was wondering how to go about doing this.

Thanks for the help in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,860 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dragonite123

@bluexdestination wrote:

Hi, I'm new to using labview and I want to create a simple program such that when a user selects a button another button would show up.

i.e. If user selects LED, then on the front panel 2 other buttons would appear to prompt the user which LED should be on. If the user selects motor, then 3 buttons would show on the front panel whether it is turning left, right or to stop it.

I was wondering if this is possible. If so, I was wondering how to go about doing this.

Thanks for the help in advance!

if you rt click on the buttons you wish to show on the front panel, create>property node.... there is a property call 'visible'. make these false upon initialization and then true when your LED or Motor buttons are true

Message 2 of 10
(2,852 Views)

Yes.  You would use property nodes of those other controls to set their visibility.

Message 3 of 10
(2,851 Views)

You could start working out with something like this. Hide the LED2 & LED 3 Controls in the front panel. When you start the program and click LED, the Othertwo buttons become visible. 

LED1.png

Nghtcwrlr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 10
(2,841 Views)

Equal to True?  That's a Rube Goldberg.  Just wire the boolean through.

Assuming the other cases of the case structure have the same property nodes and just the other boolean value, then that is all a Rube Goldberg also.  Just wire th value into the property nodes directly, or wire a NOT function in in case you need to change True to False or False to True.

Message 5 of 10
(2,813 Views)

this all depends on whether it is a latch or switch

Message 6 of 10
(2,804 Views)

@apok wrote:

How do you figure that?  Please explain further.

Message 7 of 10
(2,801 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@apok wrote:

How do you figure that?  Please explain further.

ouch,my mistake...was not thinking

note to self: cut back on coffee

Message 8 of 10
(2,779 Views)

The LED is a Switch when released. No latch. thanks  for pointing out the  Rube Goldberg. I guess i was a bit high on coffee yesterday 😛

LED_V2.PNG

Nghtcwrlr

Message 9 of 10
(2,745 Views)

Thanks for all the help guys! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,719 Views)