From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create ActiveX with labVIEW

Hello,

I need to know how to create an application with which I communicate using ActiveX.

I'm using LabVIEW 7.0 (not 7.1).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,864 Views)
You can use an activeX container control and load the active X control into it. Then you can use properity nodes and method nodes and even (in LV 7.0) event nodes to do anything you would normally use the active X control to do. Alternatly you can open an automation refnum and communicate with the activeX object in the same way as previously described. The activeX properity amd methods get populated after the reference is wired in to the ref input.

-Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,862 Views)
Ok, but I don't want to use an ActiveX.

I want to build an application in LabVIEW that I can use via ActiveX from an other application (a C++ application or another LabVIEW application for example).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,853 Views)
Enabling LabVIEW as an ActiveX server in the development environment is covered in the online "VI Function/How To" help (Index>ActiveX>server). There's also a section on "LabVIEW as an ActiveX Server" in the LabVIEW User Manual with reference to examples.

As for built applications, in the Application Settings tab select "Enable ActiveX Server". The server name will not be LabVIEW, but whatever you chose. There is information worth reading in the App. Builder release notes about automatic inclusion of type libraries etc.

All the above is for LV6.1, but things probably haven't changed much in LV7.0.
=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,838 Views)
My question is exactly what it is you are trying to do (ie, why do you need ActiveX)?

Donald's suggestion (which is still available in later version of LV) allows you to bundle up your VIs into an EXE that has an ActiveX interface. HOWEVER - it isn't an ActiveX interface created for your VI's, but the LV ActiveX server interface. It just makes bundling the VIs and running them from ActiveX easier. This is a great solution as long as you don't mind your users using a "run vi" type interface.

You can also just have the VI exported as a C-style DLL (the VI's connector pane turns into a C function call) which is then easy to access from C (I am not a VB programmer so I don't know how easy that would be).

It all depends on what you want.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,819 Views)