LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert addons.vi to standalone vi?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there. 

I am an engineer. 

I've a vi (e.g. excel data.vi) and this script used add-ons toolkit, report generation, mainly on excel reporting.

In this add-ons, i found excel get last row.vi but not for column. 

I managed to modify this vi (excel get last row.vi) with additional column feature and it is able to run on my own PC but not for another because what I’ve modified is in my local library only.

I try to make it as standalone vi so that every other PC can use but somehow it is not able to do that as it is connecting the library.

So, is there any way to overcome this so that every PC can use it without modify the library on each of the PC?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,039 Views)

Hi Telasdist,

NEVER EVER change VIs from vi.lib - for exactly the reason you are now complaining about!

When you want to change the functionality of a VI from vi.lib you need to create a copy of this VI. Then put this copy into your user.lib and distritbute it to your collegues using any SCC tool you like to!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 11
(3,020 Views)

Hi GerdW, 

Yup, I understand, changing VIs from vi.lib is not a good solution. 

I try to create a copy of this VI but it has a error "this VI claims to be part of a library, but that library does not claim to own this VI.". 

I tried this:

1) "disconnect from library". but getting problem on the reference "report in" which is out of my labview knowledge. 

2) another way is to add in the copy of this VI into lvlib which is not favorable because it is in vi.lib. 

So, this is my problem. 

Thanks. 

Regards, 

Telasdist

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,995 Views)

Hi,

in general you really should leave the vi.lib as it is, especially if you want to distribute your changes.

But what is your exact problem? Where do you put the file when you distribute your modified version? What kind of error do you get?

The best thing would be to distribute a whole library but for the Report Generation Toolkit (RGT) that could prove difficult since there could be licensing problems (but to be honest I havent tried that yet).

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,964 Views)

Hi Christoph,

My aim to is create "Excel get last column". By editing the "excel get last row.vi" (vi in vi.lib), I manage to get the last column but on my own PC only.

So, my aim is very simple. just create Excel get last column and every PC can use. that's it.

Yup, RGT is a licensing tool. So, I think this maybe the reason why I cannot make a copy of this vi (excel get last row.vi)

Or if you have any Vi which able to look for last column in an excel then it is best to me as well.

Hope I explain the full picture of my problem.

Thanks.

Regards,

Telasdist

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,955 Views)

Hi Telasdist,

does the computer where you deploy your changed VI have the RGT installed? Do you replace the VI in the vi.lib?

Best regards,

Christoph

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,947 Views)

Hi Christoph,

Yes, all the computers are with RGT installed including the computer where I deployed the changed VI.

to be accurate, I am editing the VI in the vi.lib so this is where my problem now.

Thanks.

Regards,

Telasdist

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,940 Views)

Hi,

if you create a new VI and do not modify an exisiting VI you have to add that VI to the *.lvclass file, in your case probably the NI_Excel.lvclass. For the new VI to be able to work correctly the VI has to be part of the class and therefore you have to add the VI. This you would have to do with every computer, but you could probably also distribute the modified lvclass file and overwrite the original one.

But as GerdW already wrote that is something not really meant to be done.

Best regards,

Christoph

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,937 Views)

Hi Christoph,

Is this the only way I can do?

Meaning it is not possible to convert those VI in the vi.lib to a standalone.vi?

Because my final VI will be to put in a shared drive, then every computer just link to the drive and able to run it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Telasdist

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,925 Views)

Hi Christoph,

is this the only way to do?

Meaning it is not possible to convert the vi in vi.lib into standalone.vi?

Because my final VI will be to put in a shared drive, so all the computer can just link to the drive and able to run it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Telasdist 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,923 Views)