LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control an electric motor using LabVIEW?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

is there a simple way to control the rotation speed of a electric motor (12V) using LabVIEW?

I have an idea how to achieve this by using NI measurment card, by its not that cheap. Any ideas?

Maciek.

---
LabView 2009.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,883 Views)

Maciek,

It is definitely possible. You just need to control the DC voltage input to the motor. A cheap power supply with some sort of communication interface would do the job of controlling voltage. 

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,872 Views)

satish_21,

Could you be more specific?

What do you mean by writing "cheap power supply with some sort of communication interface"? Can you give me some examples?

It's important for me to solve this problem.

---
LabView 2009.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,870 Views)

Rubid,

There are power supplies, that come with USB / GPIB interface. With the power supply, connected to PC, you can use the LabVIEW driver of that power supply (can be downloaded from NI) to control the output voltage of power supply. The output of the power supply will be the input to your motor and hence you can control motor's rotation speed. Below is a NI link, showing the drivers of some of the power supplies.

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:id,n10:powerSupply,ss...

Satish

Message 4 of 15
(4,868 Views)

Is this specific and cheap enough?

It has a RS-232C serial port

Click

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,863 Views)

Oh, now I understand what power suppliers you meant. OK, it really is the simpliest way to do that.

Let's complicate the problem. Is there a way to control the output voltage of the USB port in my PC?

---
LabView 2009.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,859 Views)

@Rubid wrote:

Let's complicate the problem. Is there a way to control the output voltage of the USB port in my PC?

Do you know what a USB-RS232 converter is??

Buy one together with that power supply and your problem is solved Smiley Very Happy

What do you mean with "control the output voltage of the USB port" do you want to drive the motor directly from the USB port Smiley Mad Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,850 Views)

Yeah, that was my latest idea 🙂

The motor is really small, and the current is not as big, so it shouldn't be a problem... Am I right?

The power supplier is not as cheap as I thought, so any other suggestions will be welcome 🙂

There's no necessity to change of the rotation speed fluently. Maybe it's possible to change the voltage from the power supplier (a normal one 230 to 12V) by using several transistors and resitors?

---
LabView 2009.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,844 Views)

Forget the USB port!

You never get 12V out of it.

Doe the motor need to run left & right?

If yes, then you need a so called H bridge Click

Do you have electronic background to design such H bridge or not?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,839 Views)

Alain,

Even in case we have a H bridge, we will need a DAQ or some sort of DIOs (which will definitely be a shoot in his budget considering his requirement) to control the H bridge. I can't think of any device or supply that supplies 12V, cheap and configurable from LabVIEW

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,835 Views)