LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control RS232 Interface through LABView?

Does LABView have the ability to control RS232 Interface? If it does, what version of LABView has this capability? The LABView versions that we have in the company are 7.2 and 8.1 only. The operating systems that we have are Windows and Linux.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(20,861 Views)

Hi,

What do you mean by "ability to control RS232 interface? If you meant transmitting and receiving via RS232, yes you can do it in either 7.2 or 8.1. You can start by going to the examples loaded with LabVIEW....Help--Find Examples---Serial. You can find bunch of examples on how to communicate on your serial port.

Message 2 of 13
(20,856 Views)
There has never been a version of LabVIEW that didn't support serial communications. What, specifically, is it that you are wanting to do? Is there some special protocol or interface that you need?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(20,835 Views)

i have a question i am wanting to control an rfid reader/writer that has a  RS232 or USB connection through labview. Here are some specs on the product. is this possible for it to work.

Key Features
 Fast data transfer
 Supports multi-detection
 ANT1015A for wall or desktop 
mounting
 Baud rate: 19,200bps, N, 8, 1
 ABS housing
 RS232 or USB connection
 IP40 protection rating: waterproof 
and dustproof
Technical Specifications
Frequency 13.56MHz
Technical certificates CE, FCC
Power requirements 12V DC, 300mA 
Display 3 status LEDs
Read/write distance 30cm, with ISO 15693 compliant transponders
Technical Certificates CE, FCC 
Antenna connection RP-SMA 50ohm
Transponder compatibility HF, ISO 15693 compliant transponders
Operating temperature 0 to 60°C
Storage temperature -20°C to 70°C
Humidity 10% to 90% relative
Dimensions 345mm × 240mm × 20mm (L ×  W × H)
The link below will take you directly to the product.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(20,399 Views)

LabVIEW supports RS232. It doesn't matter what is on the other end of the cable. LabVIEW doesn't know or care. You just have to make sure that you understand the protocol for your device.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 5 of 13
(20,387 Views)

Steve is correct. I would recommend RS232, unless that company has a USB driver for labview. Trying to write your own can be complicated. This is a taster of the issues. It is definitely possible, just more difficult.

When you do have more questions about controlling an instrument, I would recommend making a new thread in the Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI) forum.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(20,324 Views)

alright, thank you for all the feedback, it was very helpful, and i will be sure to post in the correct forum when i recieve the hardware and have more questions.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(20,292 Views)

Hello Guys, How I send LOW LEVEL for VISA SERIAL WRITE??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(15,515 Views)

What do you mean by "LOW LEVEL"?

This thread is over 3 years old.  You should start a new meesage threads and include details that explain your message.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(15,485 Views)

I need to know how to use rs232 to implement it with labview for alu in vhdl

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(14,187 Views)