LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect pulse oximeter to DAQ 6008

What is needed to connected a Nellcor Pulse Oximeter for a adult finger to a DAQ 6008?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,858 Views)

The first thing needed is for you to tell us what kind of output the instrument has. Is it an analog voltage, a logical pulse, an RS-232 port, other?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,843 Views)

The Nellcor DS-100A Adult Finger Clip Spo2 sensor has a RS-232 port

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,829 Views)

Then the USB-6008 is of no use.  It cannot provide RS-232 communications.

You need a computer with an RS-232 port (almost impossible to find these days) or you need to get an adapter from USB or PCI (or whatever interface your comoputer has) to RS-232.

USB to RS-232 adapters using the FTDI chips seem to work well, whilc some people have had problems with the Prolific chips.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,824 Views)

You really need to verify that the sensor connection is RS-232 and not just a DB-9 style connector. Where in the manual does it say the sensor for the pulse oximeter is RS-232?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,822 Views)

I'm sorry , your are correct.

The Nellcor DS-100A Adult Finger Clip Spo2 sensor has a 

DB9 7 pin connection.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,814 Views)

Is  ther a finger pulse oximeter that will work with the DAQ 6008? My Projectmates and I would connect the pulse oximeter to a laptop using labview 2012 student edition to monitor heart rate and blood oxygen levels.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,813 Views)

It appears that the DS-100A is just the finger sensor. The pulse oximeter instrument may be N-560 or N-600x. Both appear to have RS-232 outputs.  You can certainly buy an adapter to connect RS-232 to USB for far less money than you would spend on an alternate pulse oximeter.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,780 Views)

Is there any other way to connect any finger pulse oximeter to the LabView via DAQ6008?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,746 Views)
In order to connect any type of sensor, you need to know what sort of signal that the sensor is putting out. The 6008 has some basic analog inputs and static digital. I've only worked with the actual instruments. The various sensors often have a proprietary interface to the instrument and i'm not sure how much information is available on the sensors themselves. Perhaps you can check the biomedical forum to see if anyone has reversed engineered some sensors. If you can get some actual specs of sensors, it will be simple to say whether you can use a DAQ device to read them.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,741 Views)