From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect potentiometers to sbRIO?

Hi,

How to connect 4 potentiometers to an sbRIO 9641 to measure voltage outs of the 4 pots from 4 AI channels?

This is what I did, but it does not seem to work.

I connected all +ve terminals (one ends of each pot)  to the +ve of a 5V source.

All -ve terminals (other extreme ends of each pot) to -ve of the 5V source and then from this point to the AIGND

Then, each of the 4 wipers (middle terminals) to 4 AI channels.

With 2 potentiometers I got the readings (from two AI channels) as around 10.06V each. How is it possible when I supplied just 5V source? I really don't understand how sbRio works internally. Also each AI channel has a limit of upto 10V. Now I've got 10.06V. Hope my sbRIO has not been damaged.

Can anyone please tell me how to wire 4 potentiometers to an sbRIO?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,431 Views)

Hi kdm,

the first step to check such problems would be to use a plain simple DMM and measure the voltage at you rinput pins!

- The manuals for sbRIO devices also describe with words and pictures how to use all input pins…

- On that 10V reading: the manuals state a "typical" and a "minimum" voltage range, they don't state a maximum (AFAIK)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(2,382 Views)