From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect external sensors to labview?

@RTSLVU wrote:

@fauzan wrote:

i want to ask How can i connect external sensors to NI labview for my final year project.? here are my lists of sensors:

a. Temperature sensor (LM35)
b. Humidity sensor (HH10D)
c. Light sensor (LDR)
d. Moisture sensor

You need to gointo a little more detail. From your list I am guessing you are going to need a fair amount of external circuitry at minimum a power source and a resistor. Then you are going to need something to do the A to D and interface to the computer.

NI has low cost devices like the NI USB-6008 miltifunction I/O. I have one of them and it is "okay" but I really do not like using it because programming it seems cumborsome to me.

I suggest the USB 1208-LS from  Measurement Computing for $129 bucks it's equal to the NI USB-6008 ans costs less 

Plus the LabView Vi's are straight forward drop in types, the NI device requires you to go through the DAQ wizard and (IMHO) over complicates everything.

I'll second this one, I'm using several pieces of hardware from MC including the one mentioned with great success.  I did a quick lookup of some of the sensors you listed... the first one and third one will probably be cake as they are just analog voltage circuits... the HH10D looks like it has a frequency output... I've never dealt with that, but I'm sure it's doable, you'll just have to do some research and figure out how to convert it into an analog signal or a digital signal.  You didn't give a model or spec for the final unit, but most that I've seen should have some type of analog voltage output.  The 1208LS is a nice little unit.  I have several controls systems designed around them along with the relay board from MC.

Good luck!

C

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,603 Views)

a. Temperature sensor (LM35)
b. Humidity sensor (HH10D)

To replace the first two sensors on your list I suggest you check out a Precon HS 2000.  They have a version that puts out a ratiometric analog signal for both temp and RH or they have one that will interface with RS 232.

Sounds like a fun project.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,593 Views)

can anyone suggest any low cost CO2 sensors for my greenhouse project which compatible with NI Labview..???

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(2,496 Views)

Take a look at this and it should get you on the right path.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251383821

Enjoy,

C

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,474 Views)

http://www.co2meter.com/collections/co2-sensors

$65 and has PWM output that should be easy to read (although you still haven't provided any interfacing details).

There are hundreds of choices out there.  I suggest you Google CO2 Sensor and look for some cheapies.  Then, decide on how you want tp interface.  Keep in mind that you have the option to buy a multi-sensor module that could handle ALL your gas monitoring in one box with a simple RS-232 or USB interface.  It will probably be more of a scientific instrument though and cost more.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,453 Views)

i wil use usb interface... usb daq 6009

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(2,431 Views)

Hello!I wanted to know how we can interface temperature sensor using labview.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,805 Views)

Read the manual of temp sensor, there must be some inteface like USB to RS232..etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,804 Views)

Read the manual of temp sensor, there must be some inteface like USB to RS232..etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,804 Views)

hello i'm also using these sensors for my final project of studies and if you d'ont mind i want you to send me please your VI to solve my problem and my teacher want me to save data (measerment) into a data base every day to compare results in the next year can you help me?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,594 Views)