From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cleanly remove subvis from owning class

Solved!
Go to solution

I would like to delete a couple VIs from an owning class.  They are dynamically dispatched VIs.  I've found that some VIs have a "Remove from Project" right-click option while others don't.  They also don't have a File>Disconnect from Library option.  What's the best way to remove them?  Deleting them from disk causes LabVIEW to have a cow...

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Worth mentioning the class is in an Auto-populating folder.

Thanks, PattyD

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,333 Views)

In the project explorer, can you drag the vi out of the class and then save the vi and the class and then you could be able to delete the vi. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,292 Views)

I typically just delete the VI from the class/library, save the VI when prompted, then delete it from the disk.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,271 Views)

@crossrulz That first step is what I'm unable to do.  How do you delete it from the class/library?  Hitting delete does not work.  

@dkfire, It does not allow me to drag it out of the class unless i drag it into another class.  I'm a little stumped here.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,250 Views)

".lvclass" files are actually just text files with XML in them.  If all else fails, open them with a text editor, and delete it from the XML directly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,244 Views)

@PattyD wrote:

@crossrulz That first step is what I'm unable to do.  How do you delete it from the class/library?  Hitting delete does not work. 

That must be an artifact of the Auto-populating folder because I have been using the delete key to remove items from classes quite a bit lately (LabVIEW 2016).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,240 Views)

I suspect you are right crossrulz, but stopping the folder from auto-populating, saving, and reopening the project does not allow me to delete the files.  I would think that if auto-populating were the culprit this would fix it.

I will probably have to edit the lvclass file manually as Kyle97330 suggested.  I was hoping for something a little cleaner and included in LabVIEW though.

Thanks, 

PattyD

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,232 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PattyD

After a quick chat with NI we figured this one out.  I actually had another VI with the same name in my project (whoops).  Because of this, it wasn't allowing me to remove it from the class because then I would have two VIs with the same name in the project.  The solution was to rename them and then delete.

Message 8 of 8
(4,209 Views)