From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check if exe called by labview is not responding?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

Here is the situation:

I have one main executable VI that calls on several other VIs which are all in exe form.  Sometimes when these other .exe's are called upon, they open minimized like they are supposed to, but they do not start the desired process because they become non responsive. 

I am basically wondering if there is a way to check if a window is responding or not.  I am using LabVIEW 2010 on a computer with Windows 7.  All subVIs called by this VI have this problem but to different degrees. 

I was thinking I might be able to do this through an application reference and somehow search the window title for "(not responding)" but I have not found a way to implement this.

Thank you,

-M

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,809 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author markrm33

I sometimes use a 3rd-party library called AutoIT to do things like moving windows around and checking names of window titles.  The linked download installs an ActiveX control that you can use to do this.

See here for a list of functions that the control supports.  Look at the end (all the functions starting with "Win").

Message 2 of 3
(2,783 Views)

Thanks for that Kyle. 

I think I am going to go ahead and use some kind of feedback from sub .exe's when they start in case there is something funky about (not responding) maybe not being an official part of the title.  I think I might go with some TCP communications to work between the various VI's.

-M

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,760 Views)