LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change subvi terminal's name?

I made a subvi from selection and works fine.
When one uses the wiring tool to touch 1 of terminals,
it shows a long and ugly name. How can I change
it into a short and meaningful name?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,061 Views)
open the front panel of the sub-VI.

Edit the name of the control/indicator as you like.

Save the sub-VI.

Go back to you calling VI, the name will have changed.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,061 Views)
Thanks.

It was what I thought. But it didn't work
by just changing the name. Attached is the vi.
The name 'GRAPH' is shown as 'Mar-Lev Nonl. Fit.'
which is a inside subvi it calls.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,061 Views)
Hi toronto,

Please pass the to NI support (800 433 3488).

This apears to be a bug!

If you edit the "caption" and save the sub-vi the name the shows up on the connector pane update.

To the best of my knowledge, this is wrong!

Please let NI know about this.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,061 Views)
I cannot determine what the problem is with this, as I do not know what toolkit / toolset the sub-VI you are calling is from, and I do not have it installed.

My guess would be that this is a simple difference between the item on the sub-VI's front panel showing the "label", whereas the name of the output when used as a sub-VI should be determined by the object's "caption".
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,061 Views)
Brief follow-up note - by default, a control/indicator has the same value for caption as label, so it may appear like the label of the object is what is used. However, once you show the caption and change it to something else, you can see that this is not the case.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,061 Views)
OK!

It looks like I'm gonna learn something here.

I generally do not use captions on sub-VI and just leave the captions hidden. I can only guess this is why I never noticed this before.

Thank you Jeff B.

looks like I owe the exchange another 30 answers to pay for this lesson.

Ben
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,061 Views)
See Ben's new thread here
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,061 Views)

We're on LabVIEW 2019 and this is still the top post to "subvi terminal name different from control name".  

I was having this issue specifically using I/O VISA resource controls.  I double-checked that the caption names were blank and even tried making them identical to the label names to no avail.  What finally worked for me was changing the "Description and Tip" for the Control in the subVI, and changing the Tip to match the control's label.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,320 Views)