LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Label Text Font Size between 300DPI and 600 DPI Zebra Printers?

Hi All,

I am having a problem changing the font size of the Label Text when selecting different Zebra Printer Types (300 DPI and 600DPI). For 600DPI Zebra Printer the font size should be smaller in order to fit on the label whereas for the 300DPI Zebra Printer the font size should be larger in order to fit on its label. I have attached an example VI that I am working with but I am not sure if I am on the right track or not. What needs to happen is that my string indicator (which should simulate my Label) should be adjusted relative to the DPI selection.My font size needs to be increased or descreased depending on the DPI selection as well. Please HELP because I am having tough time solving this problem.

Also actual Label size for 300DPI printer is: Width=1 in, Height = 0.5 in.

Actual Label size for 600 DPI printer is: Width=0.5in, Height=0.25in.

I am using LV2011

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(27,510 Views)

How exactly are you trying to print to the printer? The code you posted is only changing the font size for the string control. You could define the label using ZPL commands and make any necessary adjustments to that for the specific printer you are using.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(27,506 Views)

Mark,

Thank you for the quick response. Let me try to be a little bit more clear on what I am trying to do. I do realize that using the ZPL commands I am able to determine the Font type and print the actual Label Text using the Printer. On that note I do have a VI that generates ZPL code that will go to the actual printer. I would like to have the user view the string indicator with label contents in it that should exectly represent how the actual label is going to look like. So if neccessary user can make necessary adjustment before the ZPL code gets send to the printer. This way any misprints can be saved.

I hope I was a little bit more clear about my intentions.

Besides the problem that I am dealing with I do have one more question: When I send my ZPL commands through the LPT port to two different printers how do printers know how to adjust the font size properly? ( This is more like a side question)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(27,500 Views)

Depending on your label it might be quite difficult to display it in LabVIEW. If you are using any barcodes, graphics, or any rotations this will be difficult to display. You would effectively have to write a ZPL emulator in LabVIEW to render the correct image.

As for how the printers determine font size the answer is that they don't. Everything is defined in the ZPL commands. The ZPL specifies the font to use, the size for it and the position it will appear on the rendered label. What type of label do you want to print? What are you trying to adjust based on the printer resolution?

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(27,479 Views)

Mark,

A lot of THANKS for sharing ideas with me here, I really appreciate your help. Ok, I do realize that it would be very difficult to create a ZPL emulator for barcodes,graphics or any rotations that is why I am not doing it for these types of lebels. I am dealing specificlly with chip lebels. These lebels have three rows of information. Something like this:  File Name

Company Name

Checksum

I already gave actual sizes of my two chip lebels in my first post. So if lets I am dealing with my 600DPI Zebra Printer, I would like to have my string indicator being actual size of the actual lebel. So any shifts of my multi line text will automaticlly shift the ZPL commands for coordinates and when I print the lebel it should have the same output like the one I am seen in my string indicator. When the time comes to swicth to a different printer type (300 DPI Printer), the string indicator should change according to the new printer resolution and again any changes done to the positioning of the text should be comparable on the  printed label with the string indicator.

Hopefully this helps and again thank you a lot Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(27,468 Views)

Hi nxb,

I think this KnowledgeBase about changing the size of the text in your indicator will help you out.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(27,434 Views)