LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to call folder browser dialog box in labview?

Hi Dan07,

i can't see the problem. Your attached code works for me.

Where do you have the problem?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(2,206 Views)

Hi Mike

The code is working very well but I am trying to activate the "path out" field to get the full path of the shell32.dll that was used by the VI, and this is not working.

Thanks

Dan07

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(2,190 Views)

this post is almost 7 years old now, is this still the best way to browse for a folder? I see in LV15 the native File Dialog is improved, but what about LV11?

Anyone knows how to set the start path using this dll?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,157 Views)

I don't really need to browse for folders, so I never really played around with this, but I think the start path is more of an issue. The relevant search term you should add is "pidl", and you might find that people have implemented it. There are certainly other threads showing calls to this function, both here and on LAVA. There may also be a .NET version, which would be easier to use.

A third option would be to implement this yourself using a tree. You basically do a List Folder when the user opens a branch to see what's under it. If you want to improve performance, you can even prefetch the folders of all the children N levels down from where you are, so that when the user opens a folder, the results are immediate. If I would do that, I would probably offload the processing to a parallel loop and send results back as they come to avoid delaying the UI.

(1,127 Views)

The good suff is here: https://lavag.org/topic/7033-browse-for-folder/#entry66623

using .NET, supports initial path

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,103 Views)