LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a vi to install the driver automatically?

Dear All,
I want to install a driver automatically when setup my program. That is when the hardware is linked, the Windows will not display the Driver Install Wizard.
I don't know how to do. I hear that there are some API in Windows can setup the driver, but I am not sure.
Thank you.

Hugo
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,452 Views)
What kind of hardware are you talking about? GPIB board, NI DAQ board, etc.? With LabVIEW 8.x, NI has made it pretty simple to include the installers for their hardware when you create the installer for a LabVIEW exe you have built.
Message 2 of 8
(3,435 Views)
Thank you for your reply.
The hardware is made by my self with a usb chip. This chip provides a driver which is made of three files: .sys  .inf .dll.   I have written a vi to control this hardware by the .dll file. But I don't know how to build it to install the driver.
Please give me some suggestion.
Thank you.

Hugo
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,423 Views)

Do you have the professional version of LabVIEW or have you bought the app builder? What version of LabVIEW do you have? With the app builder, you have the option to create an installer and you can add additional support files. The .inf file has to go into your \windows\inf folder and I would guess that the .sys file would go into the \windows\system32 folder. The dll could go to the same location that you have now or in a \data folder relative to the LabVIEW app.

If you don't have the app builder, I'm not sure how you will distribute the VI that communicates to the device or writing a VI to install the files, would require the LabVIEW development system on any pc that you would want to use it on.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 01-07-2007 06:20 PM

Message 4 of 8
(3,421 Views)
Hi, Thank you.
My Labview version is 7.1 profession. I have added the additional files. But it will be in the same application path, not the windows path after setup. Is it right?
And If it is in the windows path, need I to use the windows API to regist them?
Thank you.

Hugo
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,411 Views)
Typically, if you put the inf and sys files in the folders I mentioned, you won't have to register anything with the usb device. Windows will automatically register it. You can customize the location that the LabVIEW installer will put your support files so they don't have to go in the applciation path.
Message 6 of 8
(3,408 Views)
Oh,Thank you.
I will try it.
Thank you.

Hugo
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,369 Views)

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have been working with microcontrollers and I made a driver using a NI-VISA Drvier Wizard. However, now I would like to create a installer which includes the .inf file, and in this manner when the application is installed, we can connect my device and immediately should be detected to work. But I don't know how to achieve this. Please can you help me?.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,607 Views)