From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup a complete system running labview 2009 after a catistrophic failure?

I am new to the forum and completely new to labview as well. I am familiar with PLC based systems. We have transferred a couple of machines to our location from another and I want to be able to restore them to running condition if something goes wrong. They are operable now. What would be the best way to back them up for future recovery? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and or solutions.

They are running Labview 2009.

Operating sytem is Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,908 Views)

What hardware are you running? Is it just a PC or do you have other targets like PXI/cRIO running RT/FPGA?

If it's just a PC then you'll need to back up the application software, any configuration files used by the software and any data files.

If it's RT/FPGA - I suggest looking at the Replication and Deployment Utility - you can use it to create an image of an RT target which you can then later restore.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,905 Views)

Image the hard drive then put that image onto another hard drive.  Swap the drives to make sure that the new/imaged drive works.  Swap back, or not. 

Remember, if you don't test your backups, you can't be sure you have one.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,889 Views)

Sam,

The only hardware I see connected to the PC running LabVIEW is a Hi-Speed USB Carrier NI USB-9162 with a NI9213 16 CH 24-Bit Thermocouple Input.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,869 Views)

jcarmody,

That is what my original thoughts were for a backup solution. I am glad to see someone else agrees. And you are absolutely correct about the testing part!!! I have seen other test after the failure and the backup or supposed to be repaired item does not work.....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,863 Views)

I'd recommend a baseline backup every week with incrementals every day.  Probably have two or three rotations so you have a few weeks of backups to choose from.  For hardware, I'd recommend some kind of data redundancy.  At least a mirror, preferably some kind of RAID 5 array.

The backups protect against "I accidentally formatted my hard drive" while the data redundancy protects against "my hard drive just died."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,826 Views)