From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access a LabVIEW file from a remote place through a web browser?

I have a hardware set-up which is controlled by LabVIEW using myDAQ. For this purpose we have made a GUI in LabVIEW at target.

Now, I want to monitor and control that GUI from a remote computer in real time through a web browser. The person monitoring through the remote computer should be able to see the same GUI as on target in his browser.

That means the remote computer will control the entire hardware set-up in real time.

So please suggest some precise and eleborate solution.

I have also attached a block diagram of my project .

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,223 Views)
Have you looked at the remote panel option? This does require that you install the LabVIEW runtime on the remote pc but it's easy to implement. I don't know why you are asking for something elaborate.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,199 Views)

If you want 'real time' (i.e. low latency), you should take a look at LabSocket and the link in my signature - both use WebSockets which doesn't require the LV RT Engine to be installed and it works in all modern browsers (unlike remote panels) including tablet/mobile devices. LabSocket might be a good solution for you since it works using an intermediate server which you could put on the internet. The WebSockets stuff I have done mostly works directly to the target but you could create a node.js server which brokers the messages on the internet. The latency is very low - there's only a small overhead over using raw TCP/IP.

You can also push your data into a database and then serve it from there over the web, you could also communicate over some sort of RESTful API (e.g. HTTP). I've also had a go at using GroveStreams which is a cloud-based data service.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,164 Views)

Thank you for your response but I think you didn't get my question. I know how to control a labview file from a remote place.

What I wanted to know that, I have a GUI at target side coded in LabVIEW; now my main question is what I am supposed to do in that labview file or at target side to make that file accessible for real-time control from any remote place through browser.

I hope it is clear now.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,152 Views)

Thank you for your response sir.

I just wanted to know that will I be able to monitor as well as control a labview file, that controls a real time process, from a remote place through a web browser using LabSocket? If yes then please suggest beginner's step to get started with LabSocket as I don't have any knowledge of this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,145 Views)
If you know about remote panels, you should know that you don't have to modify anything in the main VI. That is the VI that is controlling the hardware correct? That is the VI which will have its front panel published to the web and visible in a browser.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,133 Views)

@NI3B wrote:

Thank you for your response sir.

I just wanted to know that will I be able to monitor as well as control a labview file, that controls a real time process, from a remote place through a web browser using LabSocket? If yes then please suggest beginner's step to get started with LabSocket as I don't have any knowledge of this.

Then look on the website that I linked to. It works in the same way as a remote front panel (takes your VI and creates a web-based version of it) but it doesn't need the LVRT to access and works in all browsers. The solution using my WebSockets library works in the same way - but it requires more programming on your part to write the web-page / javascript as well as writing the code to read/respond to the WebSockets requests.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,114 Views)