From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accept only 4 or less hex characters in string control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to accept only up to 4 hex characters in a string control. I dont want to use "hex display" property.

How is it possible? I have String control key down? event in event case, I tried it with regular expressions [0-9a-fA-F]{4} but then I have to accept left, right, delete, backspace, home keys as well.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,038 Views)
Why do you want to make it so difficult for yourself and not simply use a numeric U8 set for hex display. If you need a string to be passed to something, you have a simple conversion. What advantage to the user for a string?
Message 2 of 6
(3,024 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kahlenberg

I agree with Dennis that you seem to be making life difficult for yourself.  However, you did ask the equivalent (as I understand it) "How can I allow the user to type "1", "2", "Ctrl-A", "B", "Ctrl-C", "D" and get this recognized as the string "12BD".  If you really want to do this, here is one way (I was lazy and left the answer as an array of 4 1-character strings).  I use PlatMods to exclude having any "modification" key other than Shift down, convert the numeric Char into a string, then count acceptable Hex letters and conditionally add them to the output array, stopping when I have 4 characters. 

Four Hex Chars.png

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,012 Views)

Thanks a lot for answers and code.

Actually, I dont want it, user wants to do so. He is not familiar with string input with "hex display".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,996 Views)
That does not make any sense. A user would not know that a numeric control or string control is even being used. You type a valid hex value with the keyboard either way. By using a string control, it just creates more work and adds confusion. Part of your job is to point out such senseless requests.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,986 Views)

Point well taken.  I'm not used to criticizing why someone wants to do something that I think is silly -- I (naively) assume that they have a good reason for doing it that way ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,962 Views)