LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Navigate Excel to find blank column or row cell

How to Navigate Excel spreadsheet to find blank cell or specifically look for blank row or column

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,156 Views)

There are examples shipping with LV that show how to interact with Excel. You can read cells into LV and determine what, if anything they contain. Just remember that it can be tricky specifying what is an "blank" row or column as Excel can have literally thousands of rows and columns in a single spreadsheet.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,154 Views)

I am trying to write data into excel but the data gets gathered at different dates. I want to use the blank search to populate the data in blank column not to overwrite old populated data

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,152 Views)

The somewhat old Excel Toolkit found here http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2974 has a "excel info.vi" that returns (among other things) "workbook & worksheet
last known read/write location (topleft and rightbottom)" and the "rightbottom value might possibly provide you with what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,136 Views)

Hi Warren,

You can use "Excel Get Data.vi" from the Report Generation toolkit to read the data into an array in LabVIEW. When you read the data using this VI you need to specify the data type. So let's say you are reading numeric data. By default any blank cells/rows/columns will be filled with zeros. Thus a blank row will consist of zeros in every column. You can scan a row for subsequent zeros to see if this row is blank or not. (see attached VI). If you read a string data type you can search for emply string character to see which elements/rows/columns have blank elements.

Sev K.
Senior Systems R&D Engineer | Wireless | CLA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,098 Views)

Hi Sev.  It was Roland, not me (Warren) who was looking for the help.

I also don't remember hearing him say that he was using or had the report generation toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,090 Views)