LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How put an input on numeric control

I'm having a lot of troubles with labview as it doesn't allow me to do what I think would be the most logical way of doing something. I'm trying to make it so I can use booleans to control if data which can be editted while the program is running will be used. I'm looking at using a numeric control so it can be edited, but it only has an output wire. I need to know how to put an input wire on it so if the boolean is off it won't take it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,518 Views)

I would start with a few basic LabVIEW turorials, you seem to have some misconeption about basic programming tasks.

If you want help here, please attach a simplified version of your code and tell us how it should be operated and what should happen.

Typically, if you want to programmatically write to a control, create a local variable of the control. If you don't want it to be operated under some conditions, you can even dsiable or even grey it out it via property nodes.

Where does the value come from that you want to write to the numeric control? Who operates the boolean? Please show us your code.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,515 Views)

I ended up just placing it into case structure and I got it to do what I wanted. Only reason I'm using this damned program is that I'm required to for my major being what the school uses. I wish our instructor actually taught us stuff but alas he doesn't.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,490 Views)

Take the tutorials.  You'll learn something.  Don't go in with a negative attitude because that certainly will lead to you not being able to learn it.

Unfortunately, some teachers feel they can just throw the software at a student, that anyone can pick it up without any instruction.  It is easier to learn than text based languages, but you still need to have a logical type of programmer's mind.  If the instructors just spent a couple hours teaching some basics, you'd be able to learn something quickly.  But if they aren't willing to do the job they are getting paid for, then you'll have to learn things yourself to be able to succeed.

I would recommend looking at the online LabVIEW tutorials
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,485 Views)

@fdsgfds wrote:

I ended up just placing it into case structure and I got it to do what I wanted. 

What is "it"? Your solution description makes very little sense in relation to the original question.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,481 Views)

Sorry it was a numeric control. This way when the boolean is true it'll pitch the value into save file., if it's false it won't count the value

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,471 Views)

If you want a quick overview, www.learnni.com is a great resource as well! There are learning modules and things of that nature that you can look at for free to understand LabVIEW a little bit more.

Douglas Choisnet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,401 Views)