LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much labview support the linux platform?

Hi all,

I did some researches on the porting the labview code deveoped in windows to linux. I find that m license doesn't support downloading labview developement platform in linux, so I am trying to find other way to make it works. Long times ago, I have everything developed in windows under labview porting to labwindows (CVI). Since I find that the DAQmx now support linux dist., I am thinking to port the CVI to linux by using GNU C and DAQmx linux dist., but I have a third party hardware, the driver is for labview windows only. I compile the driver into DLL but which can only be called in windows. I wonder is any way that I can compile the labview vi into shared library which could be called in linux? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,671 Views)
If the driver is a LabVIEW VI, you would need LabVIEW for Linux. There is no c code that you can compile into a shared library.

What sort of device are you talking about? What type of physical connection? What are the LabVIEW functions that it uses? What support does the vendor offer?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,663 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
If the driver is a LabVIEW VI, you would need LabVIEW for Linux. There is no c code that you can compile into a shared library.

What sort of device are you talking about? What type of physical connection? What are the LabVIEW functions that it uses? What support does the vendor offer?

The device is connect via network cable by TCPIP. It is a 3rd device, created by a private company long time ago. I think the company closed already and I cannot find anything on it online. It provided a DLL and with a bunch of labview wrapper to call it. The DLL come with the source code but it uses DotNet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,651 Views)
Do a search for '.net linux'. You don't have a problem with LabVIEW. You'd have s problem even if you did have a license for the Linux version.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,645 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Do a search for '.net linux'. You don't have a problem with LabVIEW. You'd have s problem even if you did have a license for the Linux version.

Thanks a lot. I was told by our IT that we do have the license for the linux version. I think the only problem I have to how to make it works to compile the vi that running .net in windows to the linux shared library.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,633 Views)

While you could theoretically try to compile the .Net library under Mono to run under Linux, LabVIEW does only support .Net on Windows. Mono being an even bigger moving target than Linux, is not something that NI would spend any time on to allow the .Net interface to work with. The .Net interface on non Windows platforms is not only hidden, but simply completely absent. There is no INI file setting that magically would enable the .Net or Active X interface on non-Windows platforms. The entire code for these is simply not present in LabVIEW for these platforms.

If you really want to go to Linux with this, your most promissing move would probably be to investigate if you can reimplement the .Net library in LabVIEW. If its main work is interfacing through TCP to your device this is in fact what the original developer should have done long ago!!!!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,563 Views)