LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you input the name of an Excel column from the Front Panel?

I am new to LabVIEW.  I have designed a vi that reads 4 voltmeters and monitors the temperature of an environmental chamber.  In the vi I used the  “Write LabVIEW Measurement File” to record the data from the 4 voltmeters.  From the Front Panel I would like to enter the name of the 4 columns in the data file. 

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Message 1 of 3
(2,379 Views)
I've never used this Express VI but I don't think it gives you this option. If you were to convert it to a normal VI, you could probably edit it to do so but that might be too much work for a beginner. I think the simplest think for you to do is to use Write Characters To File for the header and column information and then use Write to Spreadsheet file for the data.The ExpressVI is probably doing something similar.
Message 2 of 3
(2,358 Views)

Hi Gary,

There is a way to do this.  Basically, you will need to prepare your spreadsheet file before adding data to it.  I have attached an example program I created in LabVIEW 7.1 for you.  I hope this example does what you are needing to do.  Basically, it uses the Write Characters to File VI to add the columns to the file.  The Write LabVIEW Measurement File VI then appends the data to this spreadsheet underneath the columns.  The order data is collected is the order that it will go into the spredsheet, so be sure that the order of sampling is the same as the order of the headings.  One downside to this is that you will not be able to add headers using the Measurement File VI.  In the "Segment Headers" section of the Write LabVIEW Measurement File setup (found by double clicking on the Express VI), "No Headers" must be selected.  If you need the time and date, you can set the VI to name the file with the time and date.  If you need any additional assistance, just let me know!  I wish you the best of luck with your application!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 3 of 3
(2,336 Views)