LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you add data to a second tab in Excel?

I'm trying to add data to the second tab within Excel.  On the first tab I will have my raw data but on the second tab I want to be able to separate some of the data and put it on the second tab.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,209 Views)

Hi GenU1Chevy,

What sort of methodology are you using to populate your spreadsheet?  I've seen a few different toolkits and methods, but my favorite is still the "old school" Excel GOOP toolkit. (Hey, it's free!)  In that library there's a VI called "excel change active sheet.vi"  You can call the sheet (tab) you want either by name or by its number.

One caveat about using this toolikit - sometimes the methods change a little bit from one version of Excel to another.  If you get a broken arrow, fixing the error(s) usually entails rewiring an input on an ActiveX property/invoke node within one or more VIs in the toolkit.  You only have to do it once and it usually works flawlessly after that.  Additionally, the last time I used it was on Excel 2003 and it worked back then, but I haven't tried it on Excel 2007.

If you run into trouble or you can't figure out how to use it I'll do my best to help you out.

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,201 Views)
Can I use this toolkit on LV8.5?  It looks like it only works for 5.1 and 6?????
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,195 Views)

[Laughing] Yep, the versions are pretty old on the toolkit.  If it's of any comfort, I just loaded it up in LabVIEW 8.6 to refresh my memory.  LabVIEW will probably complain about dependencies on the first launch, but after you resolve the dependencies the first time it should work.  Alternatively, you could mass compile it the library after you unzip the file.  If you've never done this, go to Tools->Advanced->Mass Compile.  Point the resulting dialog to the folder where you unzipped the library, and LabVIEW will do its best to go through, relink everything, and compile it to version 8.5.  That will save you from having to go through the dependencies dialog.

As I said before, too, a couple of VIs might be broken due to some funny ActiveX calls, but it's usually nothing terrible.

If you can't get it to work, I can open it up in 8.5 and see what I can do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,188 Views)

Oops.  I'm on a roll today for spectacular answers.  Of course you can't load something that old in 8.5!  Sorry about that.

I'll have that recompiled for you in a minute and I'll post it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,183 Views)

GenU1Chevy wrote:
Can I use this toolkit on LV8.5?  It looks like it only works for 5.1 and 6?????

Alright, once again my apologies. Here it is, recompiled in 8.5.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,182 Views)
Thanks Mr. Jim!!  I'll give this a shot and see if it works.  I'm kind of new still to LV so it might take me some time to figure this out.  THANKS!!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,150 Views)

You're very welcome.  There are a lot of VIs in that toolkit and it might look a little intimidating at first, but usually you only need four or five of the VIs in there to accomplish the usual stuff.

The typical usage goes something like this:

excel open.vi

excel change active sheet.vi

excel read string.vi

excel write string.vi

excel read numeric.vi

excel write numeric.vi

excel save.vi  (very important!)

excel close.vi

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,146 Views)