From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use ni 9205 with cRio for a simple voltage measurement?

Hello everyone!

I have some experience with LabView but none with this hardware. I don't have FPGA installed for LabView, but I don't think I need it for cRio, unless I'm mistaken. I just have a cRio connected to my laptop via ethernet with the 9205 module installed. I have the latest RIO drivers installed, along with the latest version of LabView. I just want to take a simple voltage measurement (I have a positive lead and negative lead of a battery connected to ports 0 and 1 respectively on the 9205) with LabView, but I have no idea how to go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have thoroughly perused the manuals and tutorials and they all seem to be for using FPGA which I really don't want to buy. I tried using Scan Interface Mode but LabView wouldn't let me make a project in that mode (it said I was missing a bunch of controls/subVIs...) I've been stuck on this for a week so any help would be very VERY appreciated! Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,237 Views)

Do you have the Real Time Module installed?

You'll definitely need to use Scan Engine if you don't have the FPGA Module.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,209 Views)

Shy,

Just to make sure you are doing everything correctly, open a blank project and right-click on my project and select new > targets and devices.  Add your cRIO by choosing your real time compact rio under existing target or device.  When you choose to use Scan Interface mode take a screenshot of the error and show us that.

If adding your cRIO not work, try adding a new target or device to your project on Scan Interface mode, does this throw an error?  It would also help a lot if you could give us the exact NI-RIO driver you are using, version of LabVIEW, and what model cRIO you are using.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,196 Views)

hi there,

with the Scan Engine this is very easy:

you have to have the target in the project explorer then in the "Chassis" open the module and drag&drop the appropriate network shared variable.

with right mouse you can switch between read and write.

make sure to have a look through the properties of the Chassis and the Modules

hope that helps.

quick note: if you have a support for crio then you can see the realtime/crio video tutorials

For that the User that registered the products to his NI account,

should go to http://www.ni.com/myni/dashboard/d/

on the right bottom of MyProfile you can see wether you have acces to online-selfpaced-learning

edit:

try to make sure that all needed software is deployed to the crio with MAX also

and you can test the functioning of you measurements with the NI Distributed Systems Manger program.

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,175 Views)

Hi,

there are tutorials describing basic steps like this one!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,168 Views)

Thank you so much everyone for the responses! I don't have the Real Time module, I'm guessing that it's one of the reasons the Scan Interface mode doesn't work, so I'm downloading it right now. I am using cRIO 9012 with the cseries 9205 in slot 1. I still am not sure which functions in labview I would use to acquire data though, and how I would set it to measure voltage (rather than current or something) between the two wires...any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks again for the replies!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,146 Views)

network shared variables are the easiest way

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4679/en/

with the NI Distributed Systems Manager you can see all Measurements without programming.

read the link GerdW provided as introduction for the Scan Engine

and if you have support have a look at the tutorials provided by NI about Real Time development i "linked" earlier

also http://www.ni.com/compactriodevguide/

good luck

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,122 Views)