Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn a solenoid on and off?

Hello.

The hardware is as follows:

Labview 2009

PCI-MIO-16E-1

SCB-68 shielded I/O connector block

My job is to create a program that can work as a base from which we can create more complicated programs.  I am new to Labview.  I have watched some youtube tutorial videos and have a basic understanding of the program operation.  I built a program that reads voltage values as you rotate a potentiometer, very complex I know, as a training exercise.  From that, I see how to acquire data from an input.  The next step is to write a program that turns on and turns off a solenoid via a button.  Once I have that down, I can figure out more complex methods of turning it on and off using timing, pressure, etc.

I tried looking at some of the code from other projects, but it isn't clear what is going on.  I keep searching for an example online, but I the examples are all beyond my level of understanding.  Any help would be appreciated.  Even if you just point me to a site that has step by step examples. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,824 Views)

Hi Zack,

don't search online, search in LabVIEW help menu: "Example finder"!

LabVIEW comes with a lot of examples...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 8
(2,806 Views)

Thanks.  I will commence the search immediately.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,771 Views)

GerdW,

I think the main problem is I don't know exactly what to search for.  Nothing came up when I searched "solenoid."  I think I'm being too specific. 

Is the act of turning on/off the solenoid called a trigger, or is a trigger an event that, when it occurs, triggers something else...like the trigger in an oscilliscope?  I know, or rather I think I know, that DAQmx is what I need to do this.  I also know I can use the DAQ assist or I can program it myself.  I believe the former is currently above my skill level and the latter is even worse. 😉  Does the DAQ need to read in a value from the solenoid before it can tell it what to do?  Should I just read the entire help topic on DAQ?  I'm sure that wouldn't hurt.

I appreciate your help on this.

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,758 Views)

goto Help>>Find Examples...>>Hardware Input and Output>>Daqmx>>Digital Output>>Digital-SW-Timed Output.vi

there you will find an array of buttons that output a digital TTL signal to port0, lines0-7 of your Daq  Smiley Wink

next question: does your solenoid take a TTL signal as an input? If not, you will need a driver like a ULN2003

you can use your AI to measure your pressure then use LV to algorithmically manipulate your DO's

Message 5 of 8
(2,750 Views)

goto Help>>Find Examples...>>Hardware Input and Output>>Daqmx>>Digital Output>>Digital-SW-Timed Output.vi

there you will find an array of buttons that output a digital TTL signal to port0, lines0-7 of your Daq  :smileywink:

next question: does your solenoid take a TTL signal as an input? If not, you will need a driver like a ULN2003

you can use your AI to measure your pressure then use LV to algorithmically manipulate your DO's

Thanks for the response.

There is no Digital Output in Daqmx.  The sub folders are: Alog Gen, Alog Meas., Control, Counter Meas., Dig Generation, Dig Handshaking, Digital Meas., Events, Generating Dig Pulses.  I assume we're talking Digital Generation.  In that folder there are two that look like they might work: Write_Dig_Chan.vi and Write_Dig_Port.vi.  They are write digital output to channel and port, respectively. 

I should mention I have a VI that works and turns on the valve, but I don't know what it is doing.  I think I have a lot of reading ahead of me.  There is a lot of vocabulary that I'm unfamiliar with, despite my larger than average vernacular.

I'm going to start reading and come back here once I have a good foundation of what everything does.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,741 Views)

yes, that was for LV ver 2012, but you are on the right track...do come back with your questions Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
(2,735 Views)

Thanks everyone for your help.  The solenoids are actually controlled via a relay and that's controlled with a simple one line digital out.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,630 Views)