LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I run an LV application in the background, yet retain the ability to pull up the front panel?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to run an application I wrote in the background on Windows multiple computers that I own, yet I don't want people who use these computers (friends + parents) to notice or disrupt the application. However, I don't want it to just run transparently (property node); I want to be able to call up the front panel when I need to. A perfect example would be minimizing it to the system tray, with right click options for loading the front panel.

There's an example of it being done here, but it's over four years old, so I don't know if there's a newer, better practice to follow.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,074 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ijustlovemath
Try this:

http://www.notatamelion.com/2015/07/02/a-brief-introduction-to-net-in-labview/

...and the following post.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,057 Views)
Small typo: "all the messy the details", a few paragraphs down the first post. I always love to see when you have a relevant post. Thanks for the detailed explanation for a newb!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,032 Views)

Thanks for the kind words, and you can mark down that one extraneous "the" has been eradicated.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,006 Views)

I read this article - I'm guessing it was more of a learning exercise than anything else but there is already a LabVIEW NotifyIcon wrapper which I have used in a couple of projects and works well. The link is here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10683

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,976 Views)