LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I read big data files?

I have 100 data files written using the 'Write waveforms to file.vi', each of which is 5MegaBytes. I could concatenate all of them, and the final file size is 500MB. LabVIEW shows an error that file is too big to read when I try to display it using waveform graph. Please let me know how I can load and display the concatenated file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,751 Views)

Read the file in parts and convert those lines that you read and repeat until you read the entire file.  If you knew how many lines were in the file, you could reallocate the array and use Replace Array Subset to update your array.  Otherwise, use the Concatinating Tunnels.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,709 Views)

Why would you want to concatenate the files? It will surely be easier to have smaller files. Why not zip and unzip the files if you want to store a single, large file.

Are you sure that you can concatenate those files? It is binary datalog files with a header, I would not expect it to be possible.

"LabVIEW shows an error that file is too big to read when I try to display it using waveform graph"

What do you mean? How are you reading the file?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,705 Views)

I have a signal Current vs time which is in binary format. And I am measuring drops in current like the one in the image attached. In the data I would like to analyze, such a drop is so long that it is spread over 50 individual data files of 5MB each. To analyze the characteristics of the drop, I have to concatenate all of them into a single file. Currently, I am able to read only files below 100MB, using 'Read waveform from file.vi'. As I have 16GB RAM, I assume I can read files upto few GBs but that doesn't seem to be case. Please let me know how I can increase the reading capacity to atleast 1GB.

Tech specs:

LabVIEW 2015 SP1 - 32bit

Windows 7 - 64bit

RAM: 16GB

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,666 Views)