From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program in ASCII?

I am currently trying to program two pumps which require me to send an enquire command, that looks like this - . When I do this in the HyperTerminal, the symbol shows up as a smiley face. The readback from the pump provides me with a blackened spade, saying that the pump acknowledged this command. Does anyone know how I can send the "smiley face" command, since it is looking for the ASCII character of to the pump through LabVIEW? Any help that can be given is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,425 Views)
A quick Google for ASCII and spade yielded this page.

If I read it correctly, basically it boils down to this. You need to send a byte with a value of one. You will receive a byte with a value of six.

Hope that this helps,
Bob Young
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,415 Views)
Another possibility (I think) is that the smiley and spade come from the font settings and not from the ASCII settings, since you're dealing with characters that are above the first 128 chars. I presume you know what the actual number of the character is, since you say you use HT, so you can use Byte array to string (in one of the string subpalettes) to translate it into an ASCII char. Wire the number into a Build Array and the array into the BATS.

Thanks, I'll try both ideas. I wasn't sure if sending the actual numerical representation for the symbol would work, as the pumps seemed to only prefer the ASCII representation (I tried hex and binary to no avail). I will definitely give both of these ideas a try and will get back to you with the success of them. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,405 Views)