LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I perform a Remote vi call from LVRT

Solved!
Go to solution

I would like to call a vi on my windows host computer from a cRIO vi.  I would like to understand my options here:

Can I do a remote call with the pathname and/or vi string name if it is in memory?  What is the format of the name?

Does it include the project name as well?  Thus far I have tried every permutation I can think of but cannot get

a good vi reference.  Also, is it possible to open up a remote reference to a reentrant vi that is currently in memory?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,313 Views)

You are correct- you can use the pathname or, if the VI is in memory, the name of the VI. The trick is that, if the VI is loaded into memory from a target in the project (such as 'My Computer'), then you need to enable VI server explicitly for that target. This will be a separate VI server from the main application instance.

It is possible to open a reference to a reentrant VI but you will have to use the name of that particular clone. The 'Clone Name' property will give this to you. Usually it is just 'VI name:n' where 'n' is the number of the clone.

I hope that helps,

Nathan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,305 Views)

Yes, I have explicitly enabled VI Server on my project target but I still am not able to open up a remote VI Reference.  I have also tried to get the  APP.ExportedVIs

array from the remote application reference but it is alway empty.  Could you submit an example formated vi name string within a project on My Computer.  Perhaps I

am not opening up a application reference to the correct project target, How would this be done?  Currently I am just using the IP address of the Host machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,301 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author viScience

The VI name string is just the name of the VI. You have to ask for it from the correct VI server instance.

This is the VI that runs on my CRIO:

Notice that I had to specify the port 3364 instead of the default 3363. Port 3364 is what I configured the VI server on my 'My Computer' to listen on.

Nathan

Message Edited by NathanK on 12-03-2008 11:49 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,292 Views)