LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I include a folder in my standalone application?

Hello,

I am building a standalone short clip making application. In order to complete the movie making process, my application uses System Exec.vi to execute a movie encoder called " Mplayer" in a separate folder.

As I was building an application, I found out that LabVIEW installer builder does not have a function for me to add the "Mplayer" folder into my package.
All I really need is to create an installer where it can include the "Mplayer" folder in the application folder after the installation. So, I can use the System Exec.vi to call the movie encoder on any computer I installed.

Does anyone know how I can approach this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,507 Views)
Hi keeperC,
which LabVIEW version do you use? In 8.5 you can create a folder and insert what you need.

Hope it helps.
Mike
Message 2 of 16
(3,505 Views)
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the information! Would you kindly tell me where I can create the folder? Is it in Project Explorer?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,489 Views)
First, add the folder to your project (Pull down menu 'Project' --> 'Add to project...')

Then, in the properties of the build spec, click 'Destinations'

In there, you can add folders for where to put files from within your project during the build.

If you go to the 'Source Files' section, you can specify that folder as support files, then in 'Source File Settings' you can define where that folder goes after the build.
Message 4 of 16
(3,477 Views)
Hi KeeperC,

You may run into issues if the encoder itself must be installed before you can call it from the System Exec VI.  Assuming that the license agreement for the encoder allows it to be redistributed, you can include the encoder's installer inside the LabVIEW installer.  After you add the encoder's install file to the Source File section of the Build Specifications, switch to Advanced and enable Run executable after install.  Select the encoder's installer file from the browse box.  The encoder will install after the LabVIEW components install.
Message 5 of 16
(3,457 Views)
Hello Britoa, I tried to go to 'project' menu, 'add project', and then 'new', however, I cannot find the option of adding a folder. Most of the option is to add Vis. Would give me more instruction? Thank you very much! KeeperC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,443 Views)
Try creating the folder outside of LabVIEW first (i.e., use explorer) and then drag/drop that existing folder into the LabVIEW project window.
Message 7 of 16
(3,440 Views)
In 8.2, it's not 'New' but 'Add Folder...'  because you're adding something that already exists, not something new.
Message 8 of 16
(3,431 Views)

Thank you everyone for your information and paitient! My problem is solved!

KeeperC

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,393 Views)

I'm having a similar problem to the above.

Although I've got it to work and add extra folders to my application during the build process, I've found it will only add folders if they are populated with one or more files.

To get the folder to added to the application I've added an empty text document to the  folders.

Is there any way to add an empty directory?

In my case the directory is used for storing files, and although I could live with having an unused file in there, it's not ideal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andy

PS, I'm using LV 2009

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,029 Views)