LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get LabView to communicate with HP4142B, using GPIB?

I have a PCI-GPIB card from NI and running Labview 6.1 under Windows 2000.
I have trouble to communicate with a HP4142B.
Every time I send a GPIB-command to the 4142B I get an EABO error. The instrument seems to receive the command
but does not give any answer. There may be some trouble with the EOS character but I don't know how to correct it. Communication with other instuments (i.e. HP34401A) works without this problem together with LabView.
I have also tried to send commands with the NI-488.2 program but the EABO error remains.
First I thougth that HP4142B has got a HW error but then I sucessfully used a program called "HP VEE".
The instument then worked without any trouble so there must be someth
ing else that is incorrect.

It is important for me to get the HP4142B to work with LabView and the PCI-GPIB card so I hope you can help me solve my problem!

Jon Alfredsson
M.Sc.EE, Ph.D student
Mid Sweden University
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,011 Views)
Jon,

Are you using an instrument driver to communicate with the device? NI, as well as HP, have instrument drivers for LabVIEW for communicating with such devices. The work of figuring things out has already been done for you, and the drivers are FREE!

If you are using a driver, and still having a problem, please let us know.

-Mike
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,011 Views)
Mike,

Actually, I have searched for a LabView driver at both HP's and NI's sites but have not found any available for the HP4142B. If you can find a driver I will be more than happy if you let me know where I can get it.

/ Jon
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,011 Views)
Hello John,
This sounds like a classic case of missing termination characters. The termination characters should be specified in the instrument's user manual. HP VEE is probably adding certain termination characters by default. Common termination characters are a carriage return, a linefeed, or both. In LabVIEW you can easily add termination characters to a string by right clicking on it, selecting / codes display, typing in a /r or /n at the end of the string. Alternatively, if you are using the regular 488.2 VIs (not VISA), you can specify different modes on the write commands. Each mode corresponds to the termination methods/characters that will be appended to the command. See the LabVIEW detailed help on the GPIB write VI for more information.
Regards,
Ra
y K
NI Applications Engineer

Ray K
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,011 Views)
Mike
It seems me that I and Jon is same problem. But Jon posted his message one year ago. By this time, he may got solution. So Mike, can you give me Jon's e-mail adress.

-Khan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,011 Views)

Yes.. HP VEE communicate differently from LAB VIEW.

You need to be careful in sending GP IB commands.

same commands will work provided we add the necessary additional characters.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,404 Views)

If HP VEE can communicate with this device, there is no question LabVIEW can also.  Strongly suspect that you may be missing the driver for this device - you can get this online from the manufacturer, Agilent.com. The driver has to be "installed" in the correct LabVIEW directory, then the program has full access.  I have not used this version of LabVIEW for a long time, and cannot remember which directory it needs to be installed in, but I am sure you can get that information from ni technical assistance.

Hope this works for you.

T. Graef, El. Engineer, USArmy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,398 Views)