LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out the exact path of each and every file that LabVIEW finds and loads into memory for a given top level vi?

How do I find out the exact path of each and every file that LabVIEW finds and loads into memory for a given top level vi? There is probably a trivial, easy way to get this info, but I have not yet found it!  Thanks..
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,663 Views)
Open the top level vi and go to browse show vi hierarchy. If this is not what you are looking for then let me know.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,656 Views)

The Hierarchy is a good start, but it only gives you the VI names, not the full paths directly.

To get the full paths, you can open the context help (ctrl+H) and make sure that the setting in the lower left corner of the context help windows is set to "Show optional terminals and full paths". Now just hover over any VI in the hierarchy and the context help window shows the full path.

The full path of each VI is also available from the general tab of the VI properties.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,652 Views)
If you close all other Vis before opening your toplevel VI, you could then simply list all VIs in memory using a few propery nodes.

The attached example (LabVIEW 7.1) shows one possible solution, but there are probably others.

(Be aware that untitledX.vi that have not yet been saved show up as <Not A Path>).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,649 Views)
Or if you want to grab all the paths programatically, try the attached VI.

Open the top level that you want all the paths from and close all others, then open the attached and run it. It will return an array of all the VIs that the VI in question uses, including vi.lib VIs. You can filter these as well if you like.

Ed

Message Edited by Ed Dickens on 08-01-2005 07:01 PM

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 5 of 8
(2,650 Views)

Thank you all for your help. I downloaded the 'Get all paths.vi' from the last reply and it works great. I put a wrapper around it to write all the paths to a file. Now I can quickly get a printout of what files are really needed in a project, and where they are at, so I can bundle them together and export to other machines.

Since my project in question was LabVIEW 7.0 but the 'Get all paths.vi' routine was LabVIEW 7.1, I manually created the short vi in LabVIEW 7.0.  I suppose there is some easy way to translate a file from 7.1 back to 7.0.... but it was quicker for me to do it manually.

Thanks again..

/rd

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,632 Views)

I suppose there is some easy way to translate a file from 7.1 back to 7.0.... but it was quicker for me to do it manually.

Any version of LabVIEW can save to the previous version only. So, LabVIEW 7.1 can save back 7.0, which can save back to 6.1, which  can save back to 6.0.......

To do the back conversion, open the VI and go to the File menu ans select "Save with Options". In the dialog that opens, select "Save for Previous", hit Save. Select a folder to save the Vi to and hit Save again.

One thing you'll have to keep in mind is that new features are introduced with each new version. If you used any of the new features, your VI will likely be broken when you open it in the previous version of LabVIEW, so you might a little work to do after you do the down conversion.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,629 Views)
...And thanks again, Ed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,613 Views)