LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I encrypt a data file so that only I can retrieve the info?

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I encrypt a data file so that it cannot be read without the proper authority?  

I have an application where the customer should not have access to the data I need to record for troubleshooting purposes.  (there are industrial secrets I wish to protect)  My plan is to record a datalog (currently I am producing a tab-delimited spreadsheet format) whenever the device is running and hide the files where they will probably not be found.  But some sort of encryption or at least password protection would be better.  

I've never tried to do this before, but thought it would be fairly easy.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,771 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JohnShannon

Well, you could look into something like DES, Triple DES, AES, etc.  There are libries floating around for these written in LabVIEW.  I'm not sure about the cost though.

If you want a really simple way to protect your data, just invert all or some of the bits in each byte of your file.  It is super simple and turns a nice ASCII text file into noise when read from a text file.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,767 Views)

Thanks!

That should do it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,758 Views)