From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I either set the channel Name of a cluster graph or get a 1D waveform graph to have different start times (t0) for each row of waveform?

Solved!
Go to solution
HI Bob, I have been busy with some other tasks hence my delayed response. I will share my amateur vi later for the sake of community benefits as you mentioned above 🙂 ( but just enough to illustrate the point I want to buttress). Bottom line is that the cluster graph works great now using the active plot/ plot name property. The key issue was with using these property nodes in the SubVi and referencing it in the main vi. I don't think this is good practice ( correct me if wrong) but I think it is safer to bring up property nodes to the main vi.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,775 Views)

Above (see here) I suggested using the "NI_ChannelName" attribute. When you do so, the chart will pickup the channel name automatcially from the waveform data.

No property nodes required.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,754 Views)
Yes Ben that!s right but with a cluster graph I am not sure one can write the channel name using "set attributes. This works for a waveform graph. If you look at my initial VIs, I showed the NiChannelName property but for the waveform graph only.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,750 Views)
The cluster graph approach seems to take care of the alignment problem better ( From my own perspective atleast) because once I ignore tinestamp (which I actually want to do as I am not plotting against time), the alignment problem comes back. This is why I prefer he cluster graph which does not use time stamps but double numeric. Maybe I have understood the waveform approach properly ?

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,747 Views)
Another issue ( don't know if it is a bug or my naive self). The cursor ( Mulit-plot) which watches all plots keeps reading /showing values all plots even when the cursor is moved beyond the end of some of the plots.

As you know, the plots don't end at the same points, so I expect to not have readings for plots that do not intercept with the cursor. Let me know what you think.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,737 Views)
One other issue I found about using "Set attributes" NI_ChannelName:

In my case, I would be plotting different dataset with different plot names or Channel name attributes both in terms of the size ( number of channels) as well as in terms of the "string" name.

When you plot a data set with a given set of plot names and then plot another data set with another set of plot names, you still find some of the channel names from the first data set. To resolve this issue when I use the active plot/plot name property, I am able to "reset" the plot names before plotting the next data set ( by first wiring a string constant to the "plot name and running that in a loop N number of times ) before generating the actual plot names but cannot do the same when I use "set attributes" to generate the channel names for the waveform. You can verify this and see if I am missing something.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,724 Views)
Will re-phrase "cannot do the same when using the set attributes" to "does not work when I try the same approach while using set attributes"

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,721 Views)

Could you show us what you currently have?  It might allows us to see where you are and what is or is not working.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,683 Views)
Kelle, I think this is a general question. Plot a multi graph with random number generated points. Set NI_ChannelName attributes for each plot ( Ch1, Ch2 ... Chn). Without exiting the vi, set another set of channel name attributes and see if the previous set of attributes still exist or if you have only the new ones. Especially if the number of channels in the first set is more than that in the second set of channel name Attributes. So i guess this means it is important to " clear" attributes first before a new set of attributes. See if you can clear those attributes. If it works with you then I can "take dressing" from there.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,676 Views)
And in the second set, use different channel names say Chs1, Chs2 ...etc instead of Ch1, Ch2 to make things clearer. I currently have the cluster graph approach working fine for me though. All previous issues sorted out.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,674 Views)