LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable LabVIEW's "Save All" menu item?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'd like to disable LabVIEW's "Save All" menu item altogether, or at least get a warning popup. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,633 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bmihura

Hello,

I hope you're doing well. Unfortunately you can't directly disable the "Save All," but you can use event structures and create dialog boxes to create warning messages when the program is running to bring up warning messages to prompt the user to not save all. 

I hope this is able to provide you the direction you need.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Anna L

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 14
(3,582 Views)

I assume you mean during DEVELOPMENT TIME ... and not during runtime?

If you mean during dev time, then it snot possibile. 

wjy do you want to do this?  Is it because you have accidentalyl made changes to files that you don't want to save?  If so, then you may want to consider using some kind of source code control.  Or just make those LLBs read-only or something.  Or password their diagrams.

http://www.medicollector.com
Message 3 of 14
(3,576 Views)

Yes, I want this during development time. I was afraid it was impossible but had to ask the forum.

I want this because I'm working on a project with multiple people, and whenever I "Save All", it saves other developers' files too, which somehow breaks their code. I haven't looked into that yet, I just don't want to ever "Save All".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,542 Views)

@bmihura wrote:

Yes, I want this during development time. I was afraid it was impossible but had to ask the forum.

I want this because I'm working on a project with multiple people, and whenever I "Save All", it saves other developers' files too, which somehow breaks their code. I haven't looked into that yet, I just don't want to ever "Save All".

Try Invoke node - save.instrumentinvoke.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,524 Views)

I think the "Invoke Node" requires some LabVIEW code to be run. As I'm developing and I select the File >> Save All menu item, I would need to run that or something similar. Better yet ,I'd either do nothing or have a simple dialog box tell me I cannot do a File >> Save All.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,502 Views)

>>>I want this because I'm working on a project with multiple people

Why aren't you using source code control? 

If you used SCC this would solve your problem.

You are walking a treacherous path without it.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6992/en

http://www.medicollector.com
Message 7 of 14
(3,487 Views)

One serious problem with "save all" is that it is so close to the "save as..." entry and a tiny slip of the mouse can switch to it. It is especially damaging if you are debugging some vi.lib vi, making some changes for testing. "Save all", would overwite a system VI with some possible broken or incorrect version. Happened to me once long ago. 😞

So yes, I can see the problem and there should be a better solution.

• "save all" is not used very often, so a confirmation dialog would probably be OK.
  • "save all" should exclude everything in vi.lib unless specifically told not to.
Message 8 of 14
(3,479 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

So yes, I can see the problem and there should be a better solution.

New idea posted here. Thanks for discussing|commenting|voting. 😄

Message 9 of 14
(3,450 Views)

I am doing source code control; that's part of the problem!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,416 Views)